Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Working with home movie DVD's. Need critique on how I am getting them to FCP.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris FarrugiaWorking with home movie DVD's. Need critique on how I am getting them to FCP.
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 6:35:48 pm

Greetings:

I have about 20 home video DVD's of my wife's childhood and I'm trying to work with them in Final Cut Pro. I'm using MPEG Streamclip to export as Quicktime. Here are the settings I'm using: http://i.imgur.com/7krxu.png

Once I export my Quicktime file, I bring it into Final Cut Pro and add it to my timeline but the audio and video are out of sync. Is it something to do with my settings in MPEG Streamclip? Any advice on my process would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amir AbedRe: Working with home movie DVD's. Need critique on how I am getting them to FCP.
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 1:04:19 am

Are they in sync when watching them in Quicktime? Also what are your sequence settings in FCP?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris FarrugiaRe: Working with home movie DVD's. Need critique on how I am getting them to FCP.
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 1:05:23 am

No, they're out of sync in Quicktime too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Working with home movie DVD's. Need critique on how I am getting them to FCP.
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 4:51:26 am

You have a couple of bad settings.

Audio needs to be Uncompressed not Mpeg 2 (this is probably why you are having sync issues.

Then if you are in the US and your DVDs are NTSC you need to change your Field Dominance to Lower (not upper).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Working with home movie DVD's. Need critique on how I am getting them to FCP.
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:19:12 pm

You also have to enter the Frame Rate in there: 29.97

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin CurtisRe: Working with home movie DVD's. Need critique on how I am getting them to FCP.
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:49:57 am

Any particular reason you are going with ProRes? I do all sorts of stuff with DVD conversions (for not very demanding tasks) and I convert to QuickTime Movs using DV compressor. DV is perfectly suited to that frame size. The audio automatically sets to uncompressed and all is good.

25 mbps versus 100+ mbps means I save space too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]