Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Color Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John NichollsColor Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 7:17:18 am

Hi all - new poster with a completely noob question I'm sure:

I'm learning Final Cut Studio and I was wondering out I connect my small 15" tv to my mac pro; I have read some things about it and there are just to many different answers.

Can I simply get a dvi to analog (or dvi to rca) cable... run one end from the second monitor input on the machine to the audio/video in on the TV???

also

Someone once told me about using a miniDV cam as a cheap way to connect the tv through the mac pro via firewire..

Any suggestions or info I really appreciate it

- John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: Color Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 9:41:14 pm

Color Correction and cheap usually don't go together. A monitor capable of grading HD footage like the FSI starts a little under $2k. Then you need a card or box like the AJA Kona LHi to feed the monitor (also capture from tape or devices and output to tape or devices). That said there are less expensive cards to do SD/HD I/O. Checkout the DeckLink Studio

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Color Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 11:59:03 pm

[John Fishback] "Color Correction and cheap usually don't go together. A monitor capable of grading HD footage like the FSI starts a little under $2k. Then you need a card or box like the AJA Kona LHi to feed the monitor (also capture from tape or devices and output to tape or devices)."

As soon at the 27" iMacs are out we're going to be testing a direct DVI feed from that system to the FSI monitors. If this works, and we actually expect it will, then cheap and color grading will finally go hand in hand.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: Color Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.
by on Nov 15, 2009 at 3:03:22 am

Thanks for the heads up, Walter. That'll be great.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Color Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 11:07:24 pm

Mr. Fishback has given you a well-reasoned answer, however, let's take a step back for a minute and discuss this matter in a more informed manner. What type of material are you grading, and where is that material headed? In other words, are you grading for broadcast, for DVD, or for the Web? Without that info we may be giving you a solution that doesn't match the issue at hand.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff MuellerRe: Color Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.
by on Nov 15, 2009 at 9:06:37 pm

I'm facing similar issues as Mr. Nichols so I'll chime in. In my case I am grading for DVD and web. My competition (weddings and events) isn't grading at all, so I figure anything is better than that, but of course if you're monitor is way off one could argue you've done a disservice. But no way can I buy a broadcast set up.

Right now I'm working on an iMac with FCS2, hope to pick up a used Mac Pro in the near future. I have years of experience producing in high end facilities but am brand new to doing it myself. I do know how to read a waveform monitor and that's been my sanity check working in Color off of the computer. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Best,

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Color Correction Monitor - how can I hook up a small TV to my computer as cheaply as possible.
by on Nov 28, 2009 at 7:53:40 am

[Jeff Mueller] "if you're monitor is way off one could argue you've done a disservice. "

Absolutely true, and the only way one can know if a non-broadcast monitor is even close to representing accurate color is to:

a) first calibrate using a tool such as a Spyder

then

b) make minor adjustments in setup to match as closely as possible to a known broadcast reference monitor, so that luminance values, blacks, and skin tones are as close as you can possibly get them to the broadcast monitor. They may never match precisely, because computer monitors and TVs display very differently, but computer monitors can be made to closely approximate TVs and broadcast monitors, at least close enough that you're not distracted by, or completely mislead by what you see on your computer screen.

and When buying any new computer monitor or non-broadcast

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]