Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Changing aspect ratio in the timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andy CrowsonChanging aspect ratio in the timeline
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:24:32 am

Hi guys. When I captured my footage in FCP6 I used the dv pal 48khz setting rather than the anamorphic setting that should have been used. But I read that it didn't matter too much as when I dragged footage to the timeline, FCP6 would tell me that the settings of the footage I had shot did not match those I had used for the capture process and ask whether I wanted to change to the actual footage settings. This happened for most of the clips, but for some reason, it has not happened to all of them. I have been working on 27 short films, each with its own sequence, and now when I come to copy and paste all films into one master sequence to export, I find that there is a difference between the aspect ratios of some of sequences. Is there any way that I can change the aspect ratio once the footage is in the timeline?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Changing aspect ratio in the timeline
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:30:52 am

The dialog box only appears for the first shot you edit into the sequence, not for any subsequent shots. If your material is anamorphic capture why wouldn't you capture it using the anamorphic preset? If you didn't make sure the anamorphic check is set for your 16:9 clips in the browser before you edit them into your DV anamorphic sequence.

You can change the sequence settings of the sequence, but if clips are already in the sequence they will then become distorted. You will have to reset their properties with remove attributes. This will change any motion effects you may have created.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy CrowsonRe: Changing aspect ratio in the timeline
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:37:11 am

The reason that I didn't capture it using the anamorphic preset was because I didn't know what 'anamorphic' meant. I was used to the nomenc;lature of Adobe premiere and was expecting to see 'widescreen' or '16:9' written somewhere.
You will have to reset their properties with remove attributes
How exactly do I do this, please?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:44:58 am

Edit>Remove Attributes. Depending on what your media actually is and you've done to it, you might have to reset the distort value. Again make sure the anamorphic check is set for your clips in the browser or item properties.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:17:10 am

Thanks for that. I've checked the 'distort' box in remove attributes, the only one that was availble to check. The clip as seen in the canvas and viewer is now squashed up into what I assume is 4:3. I have checked the 'anamorphic' row in the format box of Item properties. In the browser the footage is still listed as 720x576. How do I get the footage to appear as it should be in the canvas, viewer and timeline - i.e. 16:9? Do I need to delete what I have, and drag it once again into the timeline?
Oddly, of the 27 sequences I have, some have converted to 16:9 in the timeline and some haven't...
Thanks a lot,

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:26:57 am

...Also, in the sequence settings dialogue box, the frame size of my footage is listed as 720 x 576, as this is what I captured it as I suppose, even though FCP6 apparently has changed the footage in some of the sequences to what it should be, i.e. 16:9. If I want to change it to SD anamorphic, there is no setting in the drop down aspect ratio box - all the 16:9 options are for HD. The aspect ratio as listed now is CCIR/DVPAL(5:4)
Thanks, Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:34:04 am

Once again, check the clips item properties or the anamorphic browser column. If the original material is anamorphic check that anamorphic is on. Make sure this is checked on for the item properties of the clips in your sequences.

All PAL DV is 720x576 regardless of the aspect ration. Anamorphic material needs to have the anamorphic box checked. Do you not see the anamorphic 16:9 checkbox? Is it checked on for your sequences?

FCP has changed the material to adapt to the sequence you put it in. You apparently have put incorrect material into an incorrect sequence. Both have to be correct. The material itself has to have the anamorphic flag set and the sequence has to have the anamorphic flag set. The clips that have been incorrectly distorted have to be reset.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:47:00 am

Got it, thanks Tom. There is no box in 'Item properties' to click on anamorphic - it only appears in the list of properties, and checking it there makes no change - It is in the sequence settings dialogue box that the check box appears, and that does indeed do the job! Thanks very much for your help.

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:55:15 am

You need to have the check mark on in item properties for anamorphic material. Did you do that? If the sequence is correctly checked for anamorphic and your material is checked for anamorphic and the distort attributes have been reset it should work. Unless of course your material was not actually shot in anamorphic.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 11:12:59 am

Yes, I can see how all three processes are needed to get the footage to appear as it should - removing distort attributes, checking the anamorphic row in the item properties dialogue box AND checking the anamorphic box in the sequence settings... Many thanks. Can I just check with you that this anamorphic footage will appear on a standard widescreen tv as it does in the viewer and canvas - i.e. the full image beyond the outer box of the wireframe?

Cheers, Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis LeppellRe: Changing aspect ratio in the timeline
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 6:39:14 pm

Hi Tom, just saw this thread, and wondering why you gave the solution/process you did instead of:

1. Find a clip who's aspect is incorrect.
2. click the motion tab in viewer, go to the aspect slider under distort settings. Make changes.
3. Copy clip, and paste attribute -> distort to all other incorrect clips

Near as I can figure, both should do the job well, though this method would be more target-specific in case he is mixing his media. Just trying to pick your brain on why you chose one over the other, perhaps I'm missing something here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

io iezziaspect ratio question
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 1:39:23 am

Hi,

I have imported footage into final cut pro which is originally 1080/1920 but the final cut settings i had were 720/576.
I have changed the frame size in system settings to 1080/1920 but it wont let me change the aspect ratio and now my footage does not fit the screen.

Can anyone help me with this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]