Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Timeline disappears

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael SneedTimeline disappears
by on May 1, 2009 at 3:15:53 pm

Hi, New to the forum and to FCP
I have brand new version 6.0.5

I know I have a long learning curve ahead..........
My timeline keeps disappearing when I drag a clip into the viewer....and the timeline toggle is grayed out....
what is going on?
Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Timeline disappears
by on May 1, 2009 at 4:49:26 pm

There should be a sequence in the browser. Double click on it. Dragging a clip into thew viewer should not close the timeline window. I'd strongly suggest you get some instruction on the application, read a good book, watch a DVD, take a class. Trying to muddle through it will just make you develop bad habits.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SneedRe: Timeline disappears
by on May 1, 2009 at 5:17:56 pm

Thanks Tom,
I'm usually very quick with software and a few humps...this just seemed like a wierd phenomena....everything's there when I load....I drag a sequence or clip to the viewer and the timeline and canvas windows disappear.....and the timeline thing(in tools I think) is greyed out. Makes it hard to learn.....

A course would be good......which of yours would you recommend?

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Timeline disappears
by on May 2, 2009 at 1:54:34 pm

Any basic course. There isn't any timeline thing in tools. There is a Timeline selection in the Windows menu.

If you have an open sequence and you drag that sequence icon from the browser to the viewer, the timeline will close. In the timeline window the sequence is acting as a graphical display of your edited movie. You can edit the movie in the timeline. If you drag that sequence from the browser to the viewer the sequence is now behaving as a clip. As you can edit from the viewer to the timeline, the timeline closes because you cannot edit a sequence into itself.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Michael SneedRe: Timeline disappears
by on May 8, 2009 at 12:37:30 pm

Hi Tom,
I've purchased your Final Cut course and am going through it....very helpful indeed.
I can't seem to get the F10 function to change. It just turns the volume on/off or up/down. Is the latest OS different or something?
Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]