Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Can I convert Apple ProRes 422?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
PaddyCan I convert Apple ProRes 422?
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 3:42:23 pm

Someone's sent me a film in Apple ProRes 422 codec. I use QuickTime Pro 7 to view and export films for web. When I play back this film, all I get is audio and a white screen.
I've got Final Cut Pro 5, but I've read that I need Final Cut Studio 2 before I can view ProRes movies.
Is this true?
Is there a way I can convert this movie into something I can work with, without having to buy FC Studio 2?
Or maybe there's a different problem with the movie?
I hope you can help.
Thanks - Paddy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd at UCSBRe: Can I convert Apple ProRes 422?
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 4:09:44 pm

Hi,

Problem is you need the NEW ProRes codecs to view, render, convert, etc the QuickTime files.
Without FCS2, you don't have access to the codecs needed.

You can either get them to send you a different file (non ProRes) or buy FCS2. There 'might' be a way to just load the codecs into the QuickTime library, but it wouldn't surprise me if Apple made sure you can't use it with purchasing FCS2.

FWIW,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

PaddyRe: Can I convert Apple ProRes 422?
by on Oct 8, 2007 at 7:25:51 am

Thanks Todd.
I thought it might be something like that. I think they did the same with Apple Intermediate Codec; you needed to upgrade iMovie to get it... a slightly cheaper prospect than buying FC Studio 2!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]