Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

24P or 24PA for FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
original idiot24P or 24PA for FCP?
by on Nov 17, 2006 at 9:07:46 pm

I have a dvx100b that I'm going to use in conjunction with FCP. Which is best for FCP, 24P or 24PA (advanced)??

Thank you,
ORIGINAL IDIOT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Tom WolskyRe: 24P or 24PA for FCP?
by on Nov 17, 2006 at 10:34:12 pm

Unless you're going to output to film or to make a 24fps DVD, then you should use 24p. If you really want the stuttering motion that 24fps creates. I think you can also shoot 30p with that camera, which gives you better motion, without interlacing.

All the best,

Tom

Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop" Class on Demand "Complete Training for FCP5" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy" DVDs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

original idiotRe: 24P or 24PA for FCP?
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 12:50:47 am

So I understand 24PA to be true 24fps; so then why is 24p preferred for FCP? Logically 24pa gives you smaller file sizes, doesn't it?

Original Idiot

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BattistellaRe: 24P or 24PA for FCP?
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 3:53:01 am

Yes, it does give you smaller file sizes because you are capturing six less frames per second.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 10:23:45 am

With that camera you're recording your material at 29.97 regardless of the whether it's 24p or 24pa. To call 24pa true 24 is a misnomer and a misunderstanding of what the format is doing.

24pa has one advantage. It lets you work in a 23.98 sequence and output sequence that can be taken directly to film or to a 24p DVD. But those are it's only uses. If you are going back to tape or need to generate material for broadcast or in any other format that in it's lifetime will be 29.97, then you should shoot 24p. The purpose of that format is to create a film look. That format can be put on tape, exported to any other 29.97 system and put onto a 29.97 DVD. Greater flexibility but at the expense of taking more data space. The problem with putting 24pa back onto tape or into a 29.97 sequence is that the motion looks horrible. The pulldown cadence makes movement look as if it's skipping along. I'm not a fan of 24fps motion as it is, and watching 24pa material in video is pretty dreadful in my view. If you know where you're going with limited delivery expectations than 24pa is fine.

All the best,

Tom

Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop" Class on Demand "Complete Training for FCP5" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy" DVDs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

original idiotRe: 24P or 24PA for FCP?
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 3:27:21 pm

Thanks for the great clarification, I appreciate it!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Nov 17, 2006 at 10:34:12 pm

Unless you're going to output to film or to make a 24fps DVD, then you should use 24p. If you really want the stuttering motion that 24fps creates. I think you can also shoot 30p with that camera, which gives you better motion, without interlacing.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]