Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

General Error Message - Lost Media!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
MollyBGeneral Error Message - Lost Media!
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 10:45:10 pm

All my media disappeared from my Lacie drive overnight -- all folders are empty! The project is saved on my computer I am trying to open the project from my computer and then redigitize everything but I am getting a general error message. I trashed my preferences thinking that would help (they are still in my trash) but no change.

Can anyone help?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Tom WolskyRe: General Error Message - Lost Media!
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 11:23:18 pm

You need to give full specifications of your computer, your hard drive, how everything is connected and how the drive is formatted. It's possible the project file has become corrupted. See if you can open one from the auto save vault.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MollyBRe: General Error Message - Lost Media!
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 11:29:42 pm

I have a Mac G4 and a Lacie d2 with 100 GB. It is all connected through firewire cables (that is probably not the answer you are looking for.) When I try to open a file from the Autosave Vault I get a general error message in FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Apr 2, 2006 at 12:08:59 am

Get info for the drive and see how it is formatted. Which Mac G4 is it? Use About This Mac under the Apple menu to find out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 2, 2006 at 3:38:36 am

Lacie disk format is MAC OS Extended. My computer has MAC OS X, is a 1.5 GHZ Power PC G4 with 1 GB DDRS DRAM. Is that any help?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Apr 2, 2006 at 1:42:15 pm

The version of the OS and the version of QuickTime might have been helpful as well.

Where are the project files and autosave vault located? If it's on the system drive, try repairing permissions using the Disk Utility. Also try repairing the LaCie drive using Disk Utility. It's sounds as if the drive has failed or is failing.

After you trash the prefers, can you launch the application, not the project? Are there render files somewhere? Where are they located? Did you move anything on the media drive, which I assume is the LaCie? Is anything else, or has anything else been connected to the computer while the drive was mounted (besides the keyboard and mouse)? How was it connected.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 2, 2006 at 3:02:13 pm

OS X and QuickTime 6.5.2

The project files and autosave vault are located on my computer's hard drive. I just repaired permissions on the hard drive and tried to open the file but no luck. Also repaired the LaCie drive. Do I need to reboot?

I can completely launch FCP, but not the project. There is a render files folder on the Lacie Drive but of course it is empty. I haven't moved anything around on the Lacie Drive although the other day I did begin backing up the project to the Lacie drive as well by dragging it in when I was done and shutting down for the day. I was told this by a friend. The only other thing that was connected was my deck.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Apr 2, 2006 at 7:12:31 pm

Which version of FCP? Which version of the operating system. OS X is something like five years old. It's gone, from 10.1 to 10.4 and a great many iterations in between which version of all these combinations are you using? It's important to know when you're trying to work out what can go wrong.

So there's a deck attached. What's the deck, exactly, how is it connected, through the drive, not through the drive?

It sounds like the drive got erase and has corrupted the project file. But apparently the corruption happened some time ago as the auto save files also seem corrupted. Can you send me the oldest auto save project file you have?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]