Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Youtube.com artifacting and motion blocks SIMPLE Q

COW Forums : Compression techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Frederick PowersYoutube.com artifacting and motion blocks SIMPLE Q
by on Mar 30, 2013 at 3:49:10 pm

Welcome, thanks for my first post. Simple question. Adobe Premiere CS6, h264, 5.1 depth (at 720) 27 mbps, 720. I'll show you screen shots, I'm sure this must be a fairly regular question. You can see the unusual shapes in the dark color areas and they are being artifacted! I've learned that h264 CBR at around 28 mbps is good for youtube.com Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff GreenbergRe: Youtube.com artifacting and motion blocks SIMPLE Q
by on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:24:40 pm

[Frederick Powers] " Welcome, thanks for my first post. Simple question. Adobe Premiere CS6, h264, 5.1 depth (at 720) 27 mbps, 720. I'll show you screen shots, I'm sure this must be a fairly regular question. You can see the unusual shapes in the dark color areas and they are being artifacted! I've learned that h264 CBR at around 28 mbps is good for youtube.com Thanks in advance!"

Isn't it a kiss of death when a client tells you something must be simple? Sorry, Sunday morning.

How does the video look before it's going to youtube? (Who told you 28mbs? That's awfully specific. Youtube will let you upload anything from 0-50mbs.)

And have you tried Adobe Premiere Pro/Adobe Media Encoder youtube preset?

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frederick PowersRe: Youtube.com artifacting and motion blocks SIMPLE Q
by on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:42:37 pm

It's an effects reel really, you should go watch it, though it's inappropriate for children that is why I didn't post the link. Kind of a prank on another director who I have been having problems with. I'm going to try vimeo actually and we will see. I suspect it has to do with dark colors being coded as less valuable in the compression/decompression algorithm for youtube.com. That screenshot is what I allude to of dark colored areas being turned artifacted. 28 mb is my own personal thought on the subject of time versus quality for short films, CBR, though youtube seems a bit schizophrenic sometimes. I'm going to try the 49-50 mb/s that might be the key though the upload time is ridiculously long and clogs my internet. Main question is, is there any codecs that youtube would accept better or is this a youtube.com problem, ie, this happen to anyone else before? Thanks for the help Jeff!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff GreenbergRe: Youtube.com artifacting and motion blocks SIMPLE Q
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:54:53 am

[Frederick Powers] " I'm going to try the 49-50 mb/s that might be the key though the upload time is ridiculously long and clogs my internet"

Why not just compress 30 seconds or so and see what they do?

Youtube (nowadays) says that h.264 is what they want. I used to tell people ProRes or DNxHD - but not anymore.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]