Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

MPEG4 VBR - Custom VBR settings - Finding a middle ground

COW Forums : Compression techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mark GriecoMPEG4 VBR - Custom VBR settings - Finding a middle ground
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 2:23:44 pm

Hello,

I've been trying to find a middle ground for bit rate for a MPEG4 compression between the Medium VBR and High VBR setting.

I'm compressing a sequence from FCP 7 to Compressor 3.5.

When I compress using the Medium VBR bit rate the compressed video typically has a rate around 4.5 - 5 mbits/second. File size: 385mb

Compressing the same video using High VBR setting comes out around 20mbits/second. File size: 1.87 gb.

A huge difference is size and quality.

I need to find a middle ground. When I try to set the custom bit rate in the encoder pane I can only max out on just over 2mbits on the bit rate slider and it won't let me enter a specific above 2mb/sec in the bit rate field.

How can I get this video compressed using the MPEG4 setting to around 10mbits/second?

i appreciate your help.

Mark

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff GreenbergRe: MPEG4 VBR - Custom VBR settings - Finding a middle ground
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:02:07 pm

Don't use the 'quality' settings. Set the data rate by hand.  Oh wait, you have. Yeah, Compressor is a pain for such stuff.

You can do this via a QuickTime Movie setting, go to settings and choose MPEG4 or h.264 (mpeg4, part 10) and have a QuickTime Movie that's in the mpeg 4 or h.264 codec at whatever data rate you want. Problem: it's technically a QuickTime MOVie.

Alternatively, you can create a true h.264 file by choosing any of the h.264 options (Apple devices, Blu-Ray and for DVDSP) and have more freedom with data rates.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter