Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HDV to ProRes Compressor with Frame Controls

COW Forums : Compression techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Enrico LappanoHDV to ProRes Compressor with Frame Controls
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 1:18:42 am

I am trying to best match 1080i 30fps HDV Canon XH-A1s footage with 30P 7D footage in a 2 shot edit. To convert HDV footage in Compressor into ProRes 422 and increase the frame size to 1920x1080, should I also be turning on the Frame Controls? As well, in Frame Controls, should the Resize Filter be set to Best and Output Field to Progressive? Is there anything else to consider here?

I would very much appreciate your feedback on this issue.

7D footage has been converted to ProRes 422 in Mpeg Streamclip. The HDV footage was captured in FCP in HDV Capture Preset.

I am editing in Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 (in a ProRes 422 1920x1080 30p sequence) Studio with Compressor 3.5.3 on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OS X Version 10.6.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Olin PadillaRe: HDV to ProRes Compressor with Frame Controls
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:13:43 pm

Frame controls generally only deals with frame rate and interlacing issues. In the geometry tab you can control the resolution and pixel aspect ratio.

Just make sure it's set to 1920x1080 and square pixel.

The only problem I see with editing these two formats together is the interlacing. What is your final delivery format?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Enrico LappanoRe: HDV to ProRes Compressor with Frame Controls
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:39:51 pm

The compressed footage will be edited in a ProRes 422 30P 1920x1080 FCP sequence, and final delivery format will be a Quicktime file transferred to both Blu Ray Disc and DVD for projection onto a theatrical large screen (depending on the kind of player available in the theatre). Any workflow suggestions are appreciated.

I thought that the XH-A1s records 30P in a faux progressive mode and so acts like one. But I am not an expert and would love to get it clear. The 7D is progressive. I do not know if there is interlacing between formats?

Though I am not changing frame rates, should I still 1) turn on Frame Controls to set the Resize Filter to "Best", 2) should the Output Field be "Progressive" or "Same as Source" and 3) do I leave the Deinterlace window as "Fast"?

I'll change the Pixel Aspect to "Square" (had it at "Default for size").

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:24:41 am

The 7d footage is progressive. Don't touch anything in the frame controls, and make sure the geometry is full HD.

I'm not sure how 30p (or 30F apparently) works on the XH-A1. If it's HDV shot on miniDV tapes, then those frames are going to be divided into 60 fields per second. If the camera recorded 30 progressive frames a second and split each one up into 2 fields, then you should have legit progressive footage when imported. The only way to tell is to test it in all your different video players. If you see any edge combing, then something is wrong. Beware, depending on your sequence settings, FCP will sometimes de-interlace video automatically.

Whatever you do, don't use any kind of de-interlacer!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:42:23 am

I really appreciate you help and feedback at this time.

How do I make sure the geometry is full HD? Can't seem to find a setting that I can check.. only in Pixel Aspect, and I've set that at "square."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:00:34 am

By full HD I mean 1920x1080 square pixels.

Like this:

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:16:18 am

Thanks for the visual.

Yes, that's the way I have Compressor set up.

Just tried a very quick test.

Here is a grab from the original HDV.

Now one from the ProrRes 422:

Not a great example, but if you look closely at just the branch in the bottom middle, there are some lines on the 2) ProRes 422 branch in the middle, which there doesn't seem to be on the 1) original HDV. What do you think?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:31:32 am

Again, sorry for the rushed examples I showed yesterday. I was hoping I was being too picky and using poor examples. Here are two more screen shots of similar conversions. First one is the original HDV captured in FCP's HDV Capture Preset (1440x1080). The second is that image converted into ProRes and upres'd to 1920x1080 with square pixel aspect (to match this ProRes 422 24P sequence resolution).

The artifacting looks most obvious round the pillar top spirals. Perhaps I'm still being too picky (thinking about this on a large screen). Not sure what is going on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:48:43 pm

Today I converted the original HDV clip (from 1440x1080) to 1920x1080 (HDTV 1080i, 16:9) ProRes in Mpeg Streamclip and found the artifacting that Compressor did was gone. Exactly like the original HDV clip. I hope this solves the issue.

Now just to be sure, here's a workflow question. Should I be upresing the HX-A1s HDV clips (from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080) during the edit in the 1920x1080 FCP ProRes sequence where they are presently scaled at 133%?

Or, for some reason, leave them the original size (converted to ProRes 422 at 1440x1080, 133% in the sequence) and export it the final edited sequence this way?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]