Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Converting PAL HD to use in FCP, eventual NTSC DVD

COW Forums : Compression techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
montefuegoConverting PAL HD to use in FCP, eventual NTSC DVD
by on Sep 15, 2007 at 1:13:17 am

Hi,
I have uncompressed PAL 50i 1080 files. They will not play smoothly with the Macbook Pro G-Raid Firewire setup I have. I need to do the following:

1. Compress it in some way
2. Edit
3. Export finished sequence to DVD Studio Pro for NTSC DVD and (eventually) Export HD sequence for possible BlueRay and/or .mac webpage

I am a cinematographer, this is for my sample reel, I need the highest possible quality. My questions are:
IS COMPRESSOR THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THIS?

IT SEEMS LIKE I MUST CONVERT TO NTSC RIGHT AWAY: DVD STUDIO PRO WON'T ACCEPT PAL SEQUENCE FOR NTSC DVD.

I have already tried using compressor, going to the HD formats:
AIC 720p24,
DVCPRO HD 1080i60,
DVDPRO HD 720p24,
DVCPRO HD 720p60.

WHICH IS BETTER for DVD now, or will convert best when I need to go Blu-Ray?

By the way, all of the above formats seem to play well on my system. Compressor doesn't allow frame rate conversion with the Pro-Res formats.

And illumination here would be so great. Thanks!!

Steve

I have already tried using compressor w/DV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco SolorioRe: Converting PAL HD to use in FCP, eventual NTSC DVD
by on Sep 15, 2007 at 4:29:45 pm

Hi,

First, what codec is used for the source footage? How was it captured? If it's uncompressed HD then a firewire RAID wont cut it for real-time playback.

DVCPRO HD codecs should be able to play back on your RAID so I'm not sure what the issue there is. Are you able to play back your edit in real time at all? How are you editing the video?

Next, if you want to perform a standards conversion from PAL to NTSC, then use the Nattress Standards Converter plugin. It's the best out there for the job. I also have an article on it here at the Cow...

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/solorio_marco/std_converter_rev.php

If you have PAL footage that you want to author a DVD into, you must either author a PAL DVD or convert the final video to NTSC to author as an NTSC DVD.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]