Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Custom Mosaic Effect

COW Forums : Stop-Motion Animation

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Gunther TaubeCustom Mosaic Effect
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:33:02 pm

Hello!

I need to make an pixel-like animation like this:

but the pixels are not perfectly lined up in a grid, so i cannot use the mosaic effect filter.

basicly my grid looks like this:
http://img88.imageshack.us/i/bildschirmfoto20110321u.png/

i have all the pixels precomped and croped. I thought i could use them as adjustment layers (with my animation underneath) and throw a 1x1 mosaic effect on them, but that diddn't work. hmm... now I don't know how to continue.

Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Custom Mosaic Effect
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:37:23 pm

WHOA! That's Stop Motion animation, not AE animation. You may however want to look at Card Dance and Card Wipe BUT your grid has to first conform to a proper, evenly spaced grid. You can of course have spaces and irregular shaped pixels but the pixels shouldn't encroach across more than one individual grid.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gunther TaubeRe: Custom Mosaic Effect
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 11:47:00 am

Hi Roland,

thank you for your Reply!

of course you are right. The example is stop motion. It's just an idea of what I want to imitate in AE.

I know the Card Dance effect a bit, but so far I could not think of a way to make it line up with my grid (see above).
This is really important, that it's an mosaic effect, fitting exactly in the grid (each blue rectangle should work as a pixel).

Is there a way to achieve, that (with the card dance or any other method)?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Custom Mosaic Effect
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 1:20:41 pm

It's all achievable BUT your grid isn't setup evenly whereas Card Dance and Card Wipe both require an even grid.

Another option is to use Expressions but unless you're comfortable with that, it's going to be a huge mindfreak for you.

I suggest that you set up a grid using the Grid effect then setup either Card Dance or Card Wipe such that they conform to the grid. Then place your individual mosaics into a layer, using the Grid as a visual guide.

Good Luck
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gunther TaubeRe: Custom Mosaic Effect
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:35:42 pm

Thank you! I'll see what I can do :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy