Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

3d Projection mapping with AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matthew Woods3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:14:41 pm

Hello fellow inventive bovines,

My boss is wanting me to research techniques to create some 3d-projection mapped animations similar to those seen here.

http://www.socialtimes.com/2011/02/3d-projection-mapping/

I'm having trouble finding any information online about the techiniques and tools used to make them though.
I have a co-worker that believes that you would need a 3d model of the building in question that you would animate textures on to the surface of. Then position it with some open GL software that allows you to realtime adjust and position the object. This sounds to me like it might be more complicated than it needs to be.
It seems to me, that many of these could be achieved in AE by taking a photograph of the building from the precise location of your projector mount, then creating your animation using the photograph as your guide, masking out certain architectural features, and rotating planar animations in 3d to match the perspective of the building surfaces in the photo.
The one problem with this approach is that in past projects we often don't know until our final install what the precise location of the projector will be.

Has anyone here ever had experience with creating projections like this, or any links to tutorials about how to do so?

Thanks much,

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:31:00 pm

Try this on a small scale model- simple boxes like in one of the clips from your link (make sure you have a perfectly square box in front, even if you're not going to use it at the end in your live setup):
Hook up a projector to your computer. Make sure that it displays only the comp window from AE (if you have a 1920x1200 desktop, and a projector that displays SD, set your comp to SD and work at full res. Position your comp window in such a way that it fits the Projectors window (most projectors have a setting where you can display 1:1 what's on your screen, so you actually see only part of your desktop if you have a bigger display). The projector should be in the position you will use at the end- don't move it after you set up. Use 3d solid layers in AE to build one square box. move camera in AE to match perspective in the projection with the real square box. Once you do that lock the camera in AE. That's your initial setup. Build the rest of the boxes from there to match the actual setup. Once you are done building the set you can start experimenting by building animations on each plane. Precomp the planes and open up the precomps to animate in. That's the basic AE setup. Of course you can get fancy and worki with a 3d app. Build a model to scale, set your camera angle and match it with the projection and then animate at will. This will of course give you more options, but I think the AE setup can do the job pretty well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Ahmad FolyRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 9:04:16 am

hi how are you .my name is foly aim form Egypt and aim very interested about projection mapping . and i want to ask you about kind of project using in projection and where i can found it .and thanks to support me.

Best regards
foly
https://vimeo.com/user699217/videos
foly_21th@hotmail.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CunninghamRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 3:43:23 pm

Great info. I'm still trying to figure out the best solution. Mapping from video software is simple enough. But I'm trying to build animations on each plane within AE after the 3D model is built. I tried precomposing the solid layers then placing footage within and I'm not getting the desired results. I would like to have the 3D model built then any images or footage imported will warp to that plane. This would make animating much quicker than having to transform each piece everytime new media is imported to that comp.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:25:58 pm

[Matthew Woods] "It seems to me, that many of these could be achieved in AE by taking a photograph of the building from the precise location of your projector mount, then creating your animation using the photograph as your guide"

I have seen projects done this way, and I think this is a great approach. You should try to match your camera optics to your projection optics as closely as possible.

[Matthew Woods] "The one problem with this approach is that in past projects we often don't know until our final install what the precise location of the projector will be. "

Warp engines (either in-projector or third-party) can help if can get a close estimate on the projector's position and orientation, but taking more time on detailed surveys and planning will make the install go a lot more smoothly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew WoodsRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:54:51 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm going to do some tests.

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alberto FernandezRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:15:58 am

I Say Go Big, just like I did, take a look at this Video, this is my latest creation, for Xmas 2011.

Used, AE After Effects, and Power Director.

get back to me for more details.

Beto.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

mahmoud bizriRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 9:19:42 am

Hey Alberto

hope you are doing fine, can i please have your email address to get in contact with you?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Akshay TambeRe: 3d Projection mapping with AE
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 6:33:19 pm

heyy, i wanted to do a show in my college
plz help me out

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS