Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Magic Bullet Looks or Colorista - keyframing in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robert CoppaMagic Bullet Looks or Colorista - keyframing in AE
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:39:18 pm

Gurus ...
I have been given an edited short film in the form of an uncompressed AVI file. I need to do some color grading and enhancements. I am thinking of using Magic Bullet looks and/or Colorista II. All of the tutorials i have seen to date show using either of the two plugins as a overall effect. What i mean, i dont see how you can keyframe a look/grade from clip to clip or shot to shot.

About the only way i can think to do it in AE is to create adj layers for each clip/shot and applying the desired effects there.

is this the only way to do it? should i be asking for the edited footage to be sent in another format rather than 1 complete file? is it best to apply these changes in Premiere Pro?

I know i have multiple questions, but your help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance
R. :D

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard van den BoogaardRe: Magic Bullet Looks or Colorista - keyframing in AE
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:41:22 pm

Hi Robert,

You can apply any of these effects directly in PPro as well, or use a combination of them if you have the whole MB suite.

I was just viewing a tutorial from Simon Walker that was just released on the very topic of using combinations of these filters: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/redgianttv/item/57/?utm_source=const...

You don't have to use Adjustment layers to apply your grade, you can apply the effects directly to the source footage. However, if you want to affect parts of the sequence differently (i.e. work on a shot-by-shot basis), you should first consider breaking it up on your timeline - best approach is to do it in PPro using the CTRL+K (or Command+K) function. You can then build an effect preset which allows for fast application to multiple clips, followed up by more detailed enhancements on a clip-by-clip basis.

Good luck.

Richard van den Boogaard
Freelance cameraman • Glidecam Operator • Editor • YouTube expert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew WoodsRe: Magic Bullet Looks or Colorista - keyframing in AE
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:35:04 pm

If you need to break up an already edited shot into separate layers in AE, this script is very helpful:
http://aescripts.com/magnum-the-edit-detector/

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert CoppaRe: Magic Bullet Looks or Colorista - keyframing in AE
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:51:40 pm

thank you, this looks great !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Cris McRaeRe: Magic Bullet Looks or Colorista - keyframing in AE
by on Jun 5, 2011 at 4:14:15 am

what is the difference between colorista and magic bullet looks? If i can only buy one which should i get???

Thanks
Cris is Bliss
C.I.B. Visual Productions/K3 Films
Rough Luxury Records

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]