Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Rendering taking 40 hours? any suggestions?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
timothy grovesRendering taking 40 hours? any suggestions?
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 5:59:53 am

So I orginally tried After Effects with my computer, it could barely run it so I purchased a new one w/5gb of memory. Computer is brand new, has been defragmented and has no viruses.

I'm using a project file that is already prerendered called "Top of the Town v2." When i edit and put my files into the project and go to add to render que it doesn't matter what format it generally seems to freeze up and then after a while will tell me an estimated time of over 40 hours. I'm VERY new to after effects, so is there something I am doing wrong, or any particular settings I should be rendering in?

I'm only going to be posting the video on youtube.com and my website. It's looking like a minute and a half of video is going to be over 10gb once rendered.

ANY assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks ahead of time,
Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Rendering taking 40 hours? any suggestions?
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 8:11:49 pm

When posting questions related to system processing -like rendering- make sure to include the specs of the machine (os, processors, RAM...etc) and the version of AE you're running.
5GB of RAM for AE is not a lot. As a reference- 2GB RAM per processing core.
If you're using Open GL, turn that off.
Best to render compressed files opening AE projects in Adobe Media Encoder.
For YouTube .f4v or .flv should give you a small size file with good resolution.
Make sure you search this forum for threads about rendering in AE- there's plenty out there- you will probably get a lot of answers just by reading them, you know, do a bit of homework before launching a question that may already have answers.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

timothy grovesRe: Rendering taking 40 hours? any suggestions?
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 3:48:00 am

Hey sorry, I did google around and checked for the rendering question as well as how to turn off the open gl and couldn't come up with anything other than the same question I had been asking and a reply to upgrade the video card driver and the program itself.. here's my specs:

NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

AMD Athlon II 250 dual-core processor
3.00GHz, 4000Mhz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache
5GB DDR3 system memory
Windows 7

It actually got down to about 9 hours but then crashed, not sure why.

Thanks for your reply I appreciate your time.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Rendering taking 40 hours? any suggestions?
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 9:25:56 pm

Regarding your general performance concerns, I'll point you to here:
"Improve performance"

But, really, since you say that you're "VERY new to After Effects", I very strongly urge you to begin at the beginning and learn the basics:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

BTW, 5GB is a strange amount of RAM to have installed in a computer. RAM comes in sticks, and these sticks fit into slots. If you have 5GB, you have sticks of varying sizes---whereas most people get sticks all of the same size and put those into the slots. There are many reports of weird problems and poor performance with mismatched RAM sticks.

Also, 5GB isn't very much RAM for After Effects. You likely shouldn't be using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing with that amount of RAM. If it's on, turn it off for now.

> It's looking like a minute and a half of video is going to be over 10gb once rendered.

For this, I'll point you to this FAQ entry:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2989384

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]