Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

How to add a background color to a text layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Luke McFaddenHow to add a background color to a text layer?
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:11:42 pm

I've seen in several typography videos where text areas appear to have a background. Is there a way to add a background color to a text layer?

I've achieved a similar result by scaling a solid color layer, and parenting it to the text.

An example would be @0:35 in this video:

Not sure if that was After Effects or Motion.

I've also seen this affect with typography work where text swings down like a sign, and it has a colored background.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: How to add a background color to a text layer?
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:29:50 pm

Sorry, I'm stuck on an older version of flash here at work, so I can't see the video.

Are you talking about doing something as simple as changing the fill color on a text layer?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Luke McFaddenRe: How to add a background color to a text layer?
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:44:02 pm

I'm wanting to change the background of the text layer, not the text color itself. I'm on CS5 btw.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: How to add a background color to a text layer?
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:53:29 pm

As far as I know, text layers in AE don't HAVE backgrounds. Hence, my earlier confusion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to add a background color to a text layer?
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 6:10:04 pm

Parent a colored rectangle to text layer, put that under the layer with the word that needs it as background and select track matte inverted- you will get the effect from the example you posted. Of course if you need to put background to one word in a line, you will need to have that word on a separate text layer and if you need to make the background appear and disappear living the word behind, you need to duplicate the text layer with that word and place one under the background layer + change opacity.
Hope this is clear...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: How to add a background color to a text layer?
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 6:10:24 pm

Build your text & solid in a precomp. When I do it, I parent the text to the solid, then adjust the anchor point of the solid to the top edge in the center. Change the solid and text to 3d layers and apply this expression to the x rotation of the solid. amp =- 110;
decay = .9;
startTime = thisComp.marker.nearestKey(time);
t = time - startTime;
amp *Math.sin(t * 2 *Math.PI)/[Math.exp (t *decay)]

You can adjust the amp and decay to taste. You will need to add a comp marker to use this expression...just the way I did it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.thinkck.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]