Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

After Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Philip JacobsAfter Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:15:43 pm

Hi,
I have a 0:02:33 video I've put together and for whatever reason, after effects will not render the whole thing. It stops at 50 seconds then posts a Failed on the render que. I can go and watch what it did produce, but stops at 50 secs. I'm new to after effects and curious where the logs are stored and if anyone knows why this may be doing this.
I'm sure you'll need more info, just be specific and I will answer to my best knowledge.

Thanks!

Philip Jacobs
Messenjah Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:24:07 pm

I bet it's the footage in your comp. Before AE 10 came along, it was a very common problem. So common, in fact, I made up a canned answer to save time:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave JohnsonRe: After Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:30:55 pm

The file path to the log files depends on what platform you're on and what version of AE, but it is most often in the same location as the .aep project file you're rendering from. The log file often doesn't have info that is detailed enough to be helpful anyway.

First, I'd make sure you have OpenGL turned off and also that you have "render multiple frames simultaneously" turned off unless your system can handle it (multiple processors and/or cores, as well as enough RAM to feed all cores ... I believe a minimum of 2Gb per core).

If you've tried rendering more than once and it stops at the same time each time, there's something going on at that frame that is causing the problem. It'll help diagnose if you mention what exactly happens at that frame such as what kinds of effects and how many, what codec(s) you're working with (both source and render), whether you're using things like 3D layers, lights and cameras.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Philip JacobsRe: After Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:10:39 pm

Yes all that was turned off, still didnt find an error log though.
It usually stops at 50, give or take 2 secs. As far as what id going on, nothing, just a video clip with no effets. I exported it before without the video so I could bring the effects into premiere. (but that's a different story, neither one will work with each other). Anyway. It worked and exported fine from premiere, but it looked horrible. So, after reading some posts here, I exported the premiere movie. Then brought that into After Effects to render everything from there.
So, that's all I know for now. I've tried 3 different codecs, avi, h.264 and fv4. No go.
thx :)

Philip Jacobs
Messenjah Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Karl-Jason MawdsleyRe: After Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 7:44:37 am

Hi Phillip,

I had this same problem in after effects about a year ago. For some reason that I couldn't identify it would just stop rendering at a certain frame. I checked the footage, render settings, and even went through switching of my filters one by one and still couldn't identify it. In the end, because of time, I rendered the video out to one frame before the problem frame. The I rendered a separate video out from one frame after the problem frame and then joined the 2 together.
Not a pretty solution by any stretch but it worked.

KJ Mawdsley
Editor/Mograph Designer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:40:45 pm

Ok, So I tried using a different format than the mp4, and AVI. It did render this time.
Since I am using a PC, what is the best lossless format to import it into AE?
I'm trying to get the 1280x720 look, dont need full HD.
Thanks guys.

Philip Jacobs
Messenjah Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 11:01:53 pm

[Philip Jacobs] "I'm trying to get the 1280x720 look, dont need full HD."

Um, I'm not really sure what that means. Are you talking about 16x9?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2010 at 11:59:07 pm

Yes, I'm sorry. I imported in DV 720x 480 widescreen, but Im exporting to 1280x720 hd. Not really relevant, just curious what codec i should use for exporting from premiere to get a lossless.

Philip Jacobs
Messenjah Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason TanRe: After Effects CS4 does not render the whole composition
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:05:29 am

I had this problem before. It just stop rendering at a specific timing. I'm not sure if you had the same problem but let me tell you mine.

I don't use video footage, all files are created in photoshop and illustrator. Due to my little knowledge, i imported a .psd file which is so huge that after I placed on the composition it is way out, I did nothing and just shrink it. Turns out the rendering will just stop at certain timing.

Solution: I did a mask over my the .psd file and solve the problem

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]