Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Rotate 2d object in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Shaun KurianRotate 2d object in After Effects
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 9:16:29 pm

Hi All-

I am trying to rotate a cylinder shaped 2D object in AE. I know how to rotate using CC Sphere and using a world map, for instance, to show a rotating earth. How can I do a similar rotation style with the attached psd when the object is already in a cylindrical shape? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

555_cylinderdatabase.psd.zip

Shaun

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Rotate 2d object in After Effects
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 9:45:30 pm

I see a three-section, featureless cylinder. If you were going to rotate the actual object along the y axis in 3D, you'd never see any signs of rotation in the first place.

And unless you don't mind if the shadows and highlights remain fixed where they are, you aren't going to have any success with traditional 2D rotation, either.

It's time for Plan B: namely, build your own cylinder surface, and apply CC Cylinder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anthony GiolaRe: Rotate 2d object in After Effects
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 3:54:21 am

Hi Shaun,

I like Dave's Idea but there is another way which may be harder but could potentially make a better quality Cylinder. Use a 3D program. I would have to recommend Cinema 4D just because it would be easiest. If you dont have it just download the demo, it will render in 640x400 as max resolution but if you know how to mess with it you should make it look like its a much higher resolution.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joey ForemanRe: Rotate 2d object in After Effects
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:56:13 am

Well yea, that would make a helluva better cylinder, as far as cylinders go. But that's a lot of dough to shell out ($995.00) to make a can.
Because no, there's not really a way to "mess" with a 640 x 480 image to scale it up to full frame HD.
Not to mention the time investment needed to get up to speed in a 3d app, even C4D.
But if time's no object he'd be just as well off learning Blender for free.
A happy compromise, I suggest, would be Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator for AE.

Easy to use, and a fourth the price of C4D.

http://zaxwerks.com/invigorator_classic/index.shtml

Just a note, it's generally considered bad forum form to advocate using non-commercial versions of software for commercial work by circumventing the license agreement. About a notch below advocating cracked software, so take care;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rotate 2d object in After Effects
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:20:18 pm

I agree with Joey on all counts but especially on Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator. It is a great choice for working with "actual" 3d items in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shaun KurianRe: Rotate 2d object in After Effects
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 1:59:11 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise- I am trying to accomplish this task with CC Cylinder and also with 3D Invigorator. I am able to get the cylinder object shape and able to rotate in "3d" with both plugins, but the challenge is making the cylinder look similar to the psd I uploaded in my initial question. With CC Cylinder, I need to apply the effect to a metallic and glossy texture that, as Dave LaRonde mentioned, I need to build. And I presume with 3D Invigorator, I need to use the Layer Map function of the plugin. But here's my question- how can I go about creating a metallic texture that looks like the psd cylinder object's surface? Many thanks for your suggestions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anthony GiolaRe: Rotate 2d object in After Effects
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 3:54:14 am

As far as I saw I never read anything about his work being commercial. I may be mistaken but on my first read through of his post i did not see any mention of commercial gain.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]