Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Problems Importing 720p 23.98 footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
James MooreProblems Importing 720p 23.98 footage
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:15:11 am

I shot some footage on green screen using the HVX-200 at 720p60 23.98fps. the aspect ratio is 960x720 (16x9).

but when i try and pull it into after effects, i can't seem to find the right settings for my comp. i pull it into a comp with the settings of DVCPRO HD 720 23.976 and a pixel aspect ratio HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1.33) and it gets stretched top to bottom.

it's a different frame rate at 23.98 vs. 23.976, but other than that, i can't seem to see a difference in the settings between the video clip specs and the comp settings.

It looks great in Final Cut, but i need to get it into after effects to use KeyLight.

any help or links to articles would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joey ForemanRe: Problems Importing 720p 23.98 footage
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:49:46 am

In the Project pane, drag the footage down to the Make Comp icon. The clip will appear squished in the Composition window. This is because the Composition window defaults to displaying the footage without pixel aspect ratio correction.
Now open the View Options from the drop down menu at the upper right of the comp window, and check Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction. It will display at the "correct" aspect ratio now.
Now, since you're pulling a key, you'll want to turn that option off when you're looking at the edges of your pulled key. This is because pixel aspect ratio correction introduces a small amount of edge aliasing which will make your key harder to judge precisely.
This aliasing will not render; it's just how AE, and other Adobe apps display non-square pixels on your monitor.
Photoshop helpfully reminds you about this; AE doesn't.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James MooreRe: Problems Importing 720p 23.98 footage
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:59:38 am

thanks for responding. that did work as far as pixel aspect ratio. but now i'm having problems exporting and keeping the aspect ratio. i keeps coming out 4x3. I used dvcpro/hd 720p60 as my compression setting. but like i said, it comes out 4x3 and squeezed.

my comp settings are now, DVCPRO HD 720 23.976
960x720
i unchecked the lock aspect ratio to 4:3

my pixel aspect ratio is set to hdv1080/dvcpro hd 720 (1.33) 16:9

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin JordanRe: Problems Importing 720p 23.98 footage
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:54:40 am

What I've sometimes done in the past is open AE and create a composition with the size & settings you want. Don't use presets.

Then import you footage into the project panel.

Then drag your footage file into the comp icon above in the project panel and your footage should pop right into the timeline with the correct aspect.

Hope this helps.

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID 5 Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, 4TB RAID 5 External, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 20 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:05:47 am

thanks for responding. i tried your way too, and it also worked for pixel aspect ratio, but now i'm having problems exporting and keeping the aspect ratio. i keeps coming out 4x3. I used dvcpro/hd 720p60 as my compression setting. but like i said, it comes out 4x3 and squeezed.

my comp settings are now, DVCPRO HD 720 23.976
960x720
i unchecked the lock aspect ratio to 4:3

my pixel aspect ratio is set to hdv1080/dvcpro hd 720 (1.33) 16:9

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joey ForemanRe: Problems Importing 720p 23.98 footage
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:38:12 am

Looks that way in Quicktime Player, doesn't it?
Don't worry, FCP knows what to do with it. Import it back into FCP and see.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Problems Importing 720p 23.98 footage
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:06:47 pm

Boy, you need to learn about that camera you're using.

Basic Item #1:
[James Moore] "...it's a different frame rate at 23.98 vs. 23.976..."

It is NOT a different frame rate. 23.98 is just a nickname for the actual NTSC film frame rate, which is 23.976. If you force AE to work at 23.98, you will be greatly disappointed by the results.

Basic Item #2:
[James Moore] "...i pull it into a comp with the settings of DVCPRO HD 720 23.976 and a pixel aspect ratio HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1.33) and it gets stretched top to bottom...."

I'm guessing this is the first time you've encountered the term, "pixel aspect ratio".

In the short term, you merely need to drag the footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window. AE knows the common resolutions and what to do with them, so things will be right. To get it to look like 16x9, you may have to toggle on the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch located at the bottom of the comp window.

But a thorough knowledge of pixel aspect ratios can really help, so here's a reading assignment:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Don't forget to click on the hyperlinks to Chris & Trish Meyers' stuff on the subject.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:00:09 pm

thanks dave for the link and for not making me feel too stupid.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]