Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

After Effects better on PC or MAC?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
piff aroniAfter Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:35:29 am

Are there any test I can run for After Effects on a PC and MAC? I am trying to figure out, which gets better performance. Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik WaluskaRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 3:52:01 pm

Search "PC and MAC" in the forums and in Google. There are already plenty of discussions out there on this subject.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 5:12:26 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/968375

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 5:22:03 pm

I've used AE on both platforms, and the user experience was identical to me, except for the cmd/ctrl key thing.

AE is very processor-dependent. On a faster machine, AE runs faster.
Drive speed is relevant when accessing frames, but as the composition gets more complex, drive speed's role in the speed equation is reduced.
OpenGL performance is irrelevant. It's not good on both platforms, so most people switch it off.
Nit-picking system configs for speed gains is just that to me: nit-picking.

AE is not the reason to pick one platform over another. If you want a specific 3D app or video editing app or you're really used to one operating system, then those are good reasons to pick one platform over another.

Personally, I now use macs because for me, I'm faster using them outside of AE.
Inside AE, it's all the same to me.
That's just my opinion -- you may be faster on Windows outside of AE, and that's cool.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jimmy BrungerRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:22:12 am

I think one way to look at it could be - if you're budget is tight and you only use Adobe products then maybe a DIY PC tower is your best bet.

If you need to use FCP or Color/Motion, etc - then buy a Mac.

If you want maximum performance and have a good budget and like Windows, but ability to upgrade processors, etc later on *cheaply* then buy a PC.

If you have a healthy budget and want maximum flexibility - buy a Mac and a copy of Windows to run on it aswell.

EASY!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:40:38 pm

Yeah ... it's become less "my platform vs. your platform" and more "different horses for different courses".

At least among us pros, anyway. ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david bogieRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:18:38 pm

Reviewing piff's history of iquiries on apple.com, I suggest you all stick to your deeply held, totally unreasonable personal convictions and to avoid attempting to use objective criteria in your answers.

bogiesan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:39:08 pm

Oh yeah?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:42:50 pm

Ah, yes ... "contretemps". Thanks for the laugh, man. :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carlyle GordonRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:20:06 am

OpenGL is useless? Even with $2600 Quadro card? I really hope not. I have heard this before though, so please explain.

To original poster I assume by "PC" you mean a windows based machine? Because MACs are PCs also. In fact they were the first PCs. If you are talking about Windows, then both the Macintosh and Windows operating systems are very similar in their capabilities. It's a matter of preference mainly and price. Get what ultimately YOU want. AE performance should not be a deciding factor since either way you will be happy IF you have sufficient hardware to back up your aspirations. Good luck!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:33:58 am

> OpenGL is useless? Even with $2600 Quadro card? I really hope not. I have heard this before though, so please explain.

Don't use OpenGL for final renders.

Do use it for accelerating rendering during interactions.

Maybe use it for rendering previews. (I don't, unless I'm working with a lot of 3D layers.)

See "Render with OpenGL" for information about enabling and disabling OpenGL rendering for final renders and previews, and for information about what things the OpenGL renderer can and can't handle.

See "Preview modes" for information about OpenGL acceleration of rendering during interactions. That is what I leave on.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jimmy BrungerRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:30:00 am

Another thing to throw in (and may not be relevant for Windows 7 if it's now more secure?) but when I used to run an edit/vfx PC on Win XP at my old job it got so riddled with bugs and viruses that I had to wipe it, start again and not connect it to the internet AT ALL after that. I had AVC, McAfee, etc. to no avail!

Like I said, this may have improved with Win7, but I've not had one bug on my Mac in the last 2 years (touch wood!)

Something to maybe consider if you want a professional 24/7 working machine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Werner IngramRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:22:32 pm

Hi Jimmy

Please man you've got to help me. Looks like you have wrestled with this same problem that no one seems to have a clear answer about.

I'm doing broadcast design in South Africa, which is also on PAL. And i'm finding it impossible for someone to clarify whether i should be working in 0-255 or 16-235 colour space.

My ads are loosing colour etc when they are broadcast, i'm not sure whether its cause i'm working in 0-255. I am colour correcting that in Colour Finesse so i cant understand what is still wrong. Should i be working in 16-235 which obviously limits the colour palette, which is why i have not wanted to work in that if it is not necessary.

I am also not convinced that there might be slight problems kreeping in when the feels are transferred in Johannesburg to betacam, so i cant be sure whether the final product on tape is correct that arrives at the stations. Luckily next time i'm using a server so uploading the file digitally to the broadcasters. But i still need to know what colour space to use to ensure that my vectorscope is displaying the colours on the correct colour space. Otherwise its useless anyway.

Have you figured this out for sure by now?

Thanks!
Werner

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:22:07 pm

Of course, Todd and I are speaking about OpenGL with regard to After Effects.

However, with regard to 3D apps, OpenGL is very relevant.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David JohnsonRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 1:49:20 am

At risk of inciting yet another platform war that I would gracefully bow out of, I felt compelled to offer my two cents ...

Most of these debates seem to blatantly disregard that the user is always the weakest link in the chain ... not the hardware, software, or platform ... in other words, since the capabilities of both platforms are definitively equal nowadays, but each person is usually much more familiar with one platform or the other, the right platform for you and your situation is the the platform on which you are most proficient and that best fits the needs of your situation (software you run in addition to AE, etc.) ... regardless of my opinions or anyone else's.

As far as the the definition of "PC", the bottom line is that all computers other than severs, etc. are "PCs" despite the erroneous contention that "PC" (aka personal computer) applies only to Win machines ... however, nowadays, it seems generally accepted that "PC" refers to Win machines while "Mac" is more obvious.

It is definitely true that it requires a little more effort and know-how to run a "clean" Win system than it does to run a clean Mac system since virus writers, etc. simply don't focus on a 10-20% market share (not counting cell phones, iPods, etc.) for obvious reasons, but from the perspective of someone who has done so successfully on both platforms on a daily basis for many years now, it is absolutely possible to run a "clean" Win NLE without excessive effort and any inability to do so is purely and exclusively user-error.

The platforms are equal in capabilities when user error is eliminated from the equation so it boils down to which platform a particular user is most efficient on when all things are considered. Personally, I find the customizability of the Win platform most suitable for my needs (i.e., the wider range of available software, as well as greater hardware and software customization options). However, one reason I work on both platforms every day is the fact that each has strengths and weaknesses that are interchangeably relevant in the varying scenarios that arise in my work.

One of my opinions on this subject does relate to price in that I've found the vast majority of Win-Mac comparisons to be Apple-Orange comparisons (forgive the pun) ... in other words, it simply doesn't make any sense at all to me to compare the performance of a $2k Win machine to that of a $5k Mac machine. Having done many comparisons using truly comparable systems and wide range of needs, I've found AE to perform best overall on well-equipped and cleanly run Win machines, but I also prefer the simplicity of the Macs for less complex projects, although I'm sure others have had opposing experiences based on their particular needs.

With all of that said, the bottom line is that the "best" platform is a balance between the one a particular individual is most efficient on (with years of learning curve adequately factored in, if one decides to switch from the platform with which he/she already has years of experience) and the one that is most suitable for the needs of a specific situation, which are inherently different for every individual.

In conclusion, I respectfully concede to the nay-sayers ... yes indeed, both of my platforms suck and yours rules. Cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carlyle GordonRe: After Effects better on PC or MAC?
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:04:36 pm

VERY well said!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]