Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Keying out Motion blur tint. (Keylight)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Danny WinnKeying out Motion blur tint. (Keylight)
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 2:24:19 pm

I've got some great greenscreen footage of a drummer druming and as you can guess keying out with keylight is perfect except for the motion blur of the drumsticks.

I've tried messing with the Black & White Screen Matte clip but that only tends to shorten the length appearance of the sticks.

Does anyone have a good technique for maintaining the length of the sticks yet removing the green tinted blur?

Thanks

PS: If I had time shoot this again I would have shot at a higher shutter speed to avoid the blur, doh!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying out Motion blur tint. (Keylight)
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:57:20 pm

[Danny Winn] " If I had time shoot this again I would have shot at a higher shutter speed to avoid the blur, doh!"

Then it would look goofy. Shutter speeds screw up motion. I've had success with isolating moving, blurred objects like drumsticks on a garbage mask, then applying one or more instances of AE's Spill Suppressor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter LitwinowiczRe: Keying out Motion blur tint. (Keylight)
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 5:48:53 pm

Yes, I agree that turning up the shutter speed can make it look "wrong."

But then you can often use our ReelSmart Motion Blur to add the motion blur back in. (of course i'm biased)... and many of our customer do just that with great success.

Pete Litwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny WinnRe: Keying out Motion blur tint. (Keylight)
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:19:59 pm

Hey Dave thanks,

Do you mean you would duplicate the footage and on the top layer create a garbage mask where the sticks are then set the spill supresser to the stick color?

Does that sound right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying out Motion blur tint. (Keylight)
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:29:33 pm

Yup.

Try this, too: use the very same animated garbage mask on the lower layer to delete the sticks from the shot -- There's transparency on the edges, and the spill color could show through. Just change the mode to subtract, use an inverted mask, etc. By using an animated garbage matte, you keep the additional spill suppression from affecting the entire shot.

And if it doesn't work, you can just get rid of the mask, no harm done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]