Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

PNG vs TGA

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dustin BrownPNG vs TGA
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 7:34:29 pm

When I render image sequences out of 3ds Max with the intention of compositing them in After Effects, is there any reason to choose TGA over PNG. PNG files are much smaller, lossless, and have alpha channels. Those are all compelling reasons to choose PNG over TGA, but I'm wondering what, if any, are good reasons to choose TGA.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WrightRe: PNG vs TGA
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 9:04:38 pm

If you're doing 3-D animation, I strongly recommend Tiff trillion 16bit outputs. They don't have any pixel shift. The next one is PNG, which is a little smaller and has almost no pixel shift. TGA is old, bad pixeling, and won't even do 16bit.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dustin BrownRe: PNG vs TGA
by on Dec 6, 2009 at 12:39:44 am

What do you mean by pixel shift? I did a search on Google and I didn't really see anything that talked about the pixel shift of the three formats you mentioned. What's the bottom line, if I render TGA sequences my footage is going to look jittery? Thanks again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WrightRe: PNG vs TGA
by on Dec 6, 2009 at 12:57:14 am

if you render out an image and zoom in 1600% in photoshop, the RGB numbers will be shifting higher or lower, eventually visually apparent as banding from generation loss.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2009 at 2:44:29 am

Good to know. Thanks, Chris, I appreciate your time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher WrightRe: PNG vs TGA
by on Dec 6, 2009 at 5:10:11 am

Where did you get that info??
I've been using 24 bit Targa sequences out of Lightwave for years,
even for feature film work, without "old, bad pixeling."
I only started using PNGs because FCP reads the alpha channel better than 24 bit TGAs on the MAC.
Tiffs were always the Apple way to go, where most animators/editors used TGAs on the Windows compositing side. It all only depends on which "flavor" your software prefers.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2009 at 7:15:04 am

Weird, you guys have the same name.

I've had issues using TGA sequences in Premiere before. I forget what it was, but something was acting wonky. I think that's what initially got me using PNGs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2009 at 9:12:53 pm

Both can be saved out as 24 bit formats, again it is just what works best for your specific workflow,
OS, hardware setup, and software apps. There is no difference in quality.

Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: PNG vs TGA
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 12:43:33 pm

if you are working in 16bpc color, then png should be able to record all the color data (it does depend a bit on your software... i know older versions of photoshop only worked with 8bpc pngs and at one point it could read 16bpc, but write 8bpc).

tga is only capable of recording 8bpc (which is 24-bit color - or 32 with alpha, 8 bits for each channel, rgba).

tiff is capable of 32bpc color if you are capable of working/rendering 32bpc in your 3d app, and psd is also capable of 32bpc.

personally, i'd probably go with png if that fits the workflow (and it sounds like it does)... but tiff is more universal - almost a standard in the industry.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:12:10 pm

Kevin,

I have never used Tiff sequences for animation work.
Although you can render to 32bpc, tiffs still can't/don't carry an alpha channel, correct??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:52:30 am

TIFF does support alpha channel.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:35:56 pm

I always used TGA alphas from Lightwave for use in compositing the "final product" in either AE or Combustion,and PNGs with Motion and FCP. Nice to know about the Tiff option now.
Sounds like you should use tiffs if your 3D app supports the full 32bpc.
I guess it all comes down to your software of choice then Dustin!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:48:33 am

Indeed :)

Reply   Like  

shashank jadhavRe: PNG vs TGA
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 12:07:36 pm

Tiff does support alpha but our experience with Maya and Fusion was that it gave trouble sometimes with alpha.
So exr was chosen.
But now PNG seems equally better so far.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]