Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Making a 2D picture into a fake 3D environment

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Laurent HassonMaking a 2D picture into a fake 3D environment
by on Oct 5, 2009 at 9:08:01 pm

Hello,

I have no idea if this can be done or not, and i am not sure if i can explain it correctly, so bear with me please.

I have a high-res (8mp) picture of a room. The room in real life is a simple squarish room about 16 feet by 20 feet. I took the picture from the entrance with a wall and window in the back, a desk on the right, and a bunk bed on the left. There is some perspective.

I'd like to add some fake 3D to this so i could in After Effects move a camera around and have the 2D picture be shaped to follow a fake 3D layout.

Is this possible? Conceptually, i know i can draw lines to give a hint at the perspective. I can also give 3D coordinates to many points throughout the picture which would help my "supposed" 3D software to make my 2D picture a fake 3D picture.

Thanks for any help,
Laurent Hasson

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Making a 2D picture into a fake 3D environment
by on Oct 5, 2009 at 9:50:10 pm

It sounds like you're describing a problem that can be solved with the Vanishing Point features in Photoshop and After Effects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Laurent HassonRe: Making a 2D picture into a fake 3D environment
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:44:35 am

Ah, very cool. "Vanishing point" is the technical term i was looking for. Thanks. I have CS4, and i take it this feature is not incorporated in it? I have to use Photoshop to achieve this then?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Making a 2D picture into a fake 3D environment
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 1:41:27 am

You prepare the picture in Photoshop and then use the VPE feature to bring the scene into After Effects.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark WalczakRe: Making a 2D picture into a fake 3D environment
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:19:10 pm

Here are some video tuts that may help:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_vanishing_point/

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_camera_projection/

The second video pertains to image projection, which is another way to do what you are trying to achieve. Personally, I've found Vanishing Point to be a little tricky.

Hope this helps!

What makes you explode?
http://www.explosivegraffix.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Laurent HassonRe: Making a 2D picture into a fake 3D environment
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:13:10 pm

Thanks Mark. Looks like 3D projection is more up my alley :) I'll be trying it tonight.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]