Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

how to convert and edit .mts files???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Joe Danielshow to convert and edit .mts files???
by on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:31:04 am

I just bought a JVC Everio HD300 (AVCHD) camcorder today that shoots at full HD (1920x1080). So far the camera seems pretty sweet! But when I plugged it into my PC (I am a PC guy, not a Mac guy!) I noticed a file format I have never had to deal with, .mts.

So I guess my question is, how do I convert this file without any quality loss to be able to edit within After Effects/Premiere Pro CS4? Is there converting software I need to get to convert first then bring into AE or Premiere?

HELP!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: how to convert and edit .mts files???
by on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:01:36 pm

i would have thought that premiere would have worked with .mts files (they are essentially mpeg-2), but you might try an aplication like mpeg streamclip (free, multiplatform).

i haven't used it for .mts files but the jvc everio is listed as a device that it will work with.

as far as what to transcode to, for ae you'd like to avoid any codec that uses temporal compression (like mpeg-2, h.264, hdv).

to avoid loss, you'd like to go with uncompressed/lossless compression, but those files will be large and you will not be able to edit those in realtime (barring a very fast drive array). so you might consider another compressed codec that uses only intraframe (jpeg-like) compression, like avid's dnxhd (free from avid, works with quicktime) or dvcprohd.

streamclip will export to any codec available to quicktime, so if you have other quicktime components you can choose any of them.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jennifer ThomosRe: how to convert and edit .mts files???
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:17:37 am

I've recently bought a Canon HF100 HD video camera, which saves home movie files to AVCHD with an .MTS extension also. I happened the same problem with you, so I surfed website and I found a nice mts converter which can convert .mts file without any quality loss. Now I can edit it easily. Now I share you this detailed guide http://www.mtsconverterreviews.com/how-to-convert-mts-files.html
how to convert mts files, hope it can help you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jennifer ThomosRe: how to convert and edit .mts files???
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:44:25 am

I've recently bought a Canon HF100 HD video camera, which saves home movie files to AVCHD with an .MTS extension also. I happened the same problem with you, so I surfed website and I found a nice mts converter--Aiseesoft MTS Converter which can convert .mts file without any quality loss. Now I can edit it easily. I share you this software, hope it can help you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris kingRe: how to convert and edit .mts files???
by on Sep 17, 2013 at 6:29:06 am

I have a JVC GZ-VX700 is also capable of recording high-resolution AVCHD full HD 1,920 x 1,080 videos. However, I found that when they import the AVCHD 1920x1080 MTS files to FCP via Log and Transfer, the files will be very “interlecy” or they even can not import the videos to FCP. I’ve get rid of the issue with the help of a best JVC Everio MTS Converter. It can be useful to you also.

http://video-playback-tips.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]