Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Reverse Color Keying and Track Points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John HarperReverse Color Keying and Track Points
by on Mar 27, 2009 at 3:57:49 pm

In preparing for a more complex project, I've made a simple 3D scene using 3dsmax with a background and two spheres which are not visible just yet. The 3D camera then moves to view the two sphere which have a green circular area textured over each for color keying in after effects.

I then want to place two separate video clips (personal interviews) in the green circular areas of the spheres, but I don't know how to do this. I don't want to add the video clips in 3dsmax as a texture cuz the quality would not be as good, since they would be textures.

I was thinking of having the 3d scene as the background layer in AE, and put clip1 in green area on sphere1 and use track points to track the movement, sort of a reverse color keying but instead of seeing thru the green to the clip in the background, I want the clip to be scaled down inside the green area and follow the sphere movement.

Am I on the right track with this, or can someone offer a suggestion on how to do this, as I haven't been able to get it working?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Reverse Color Keying and Track Points
by on Mar 27, 2009 at 4:29:50 pm

I'd do the job in 3DSMax. It's going to be a LOT easier to get it right.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John HarperRe: Reverse Color Keying and Track Points
by on Mar 27, 2009 at 5:05:48 pm

Dave, thank you for prompt reply and time...I really appreciate any direction or confirmation.

Your suggestion was my first idea too. But the editor, who will be working on the AE side of things, was thinking of the green screen area idea, and I thought maybe that might look better. I watched a neat little tutorial by a European fellow regarding how Tracker2Mask works...it did look like more work to do it that way, and in a sense it is sort of like doing the same thing.

3DSMax would be a whole lot easier, but I'm concerned with the quality degredation that occurs with bitmaps, when applying things like, for example a screen grab from a software product to display on a 3D computer screen or an AVI. In order for the details to be clear the 3D camera needs to zoom up quite a bit, where you then lose your global view...it is almost like the 3D camera has bad vision, and needs glasses. ;) Or you can turn the blur's down to nothing in the texuture, and apply supersampling, but even then the quality doesn't match what the screen grab or AVI (even source AVI) would look like if used in editing.

So, I was faced with either doing the project in 3DSMax like you suggested and dealing with the quality drop that occurs with such, or trying to increase the quality by using editing for the clip integration. I thought I would would just ask about this though, just in case it was reasonable feasible. Thanks again for your notes, and please let me know if you have any other comments, suggestions, or ideas.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Reverse Color Keying and Track Points
by on Mar 27, 2009 at 7:37:57 pm

Oh, so 3DSMax is the culprit....
I'm pretty sure you can export camera motion data from 3DSMax for use in AE. If you positioned the video layer properly in an AE 3D comp, an AE camera could then replicate the move.

But even if you can do it in AE, know that once you get past a scale of 100% -- which can happen if a camera gets too close -- there's not much in AE that's going to make it look any better than it would in 3DSMax

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]