Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Camera sync for a song video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Blahtor MagnusCamera sync for a song video
by on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:08:50 pm

I have a project for a music video to a song.

Everything is set and done in After Effects - the keyed out human figures are placed in 3D space and so on.

All that is left is to apply the camera movement in 3D and the shot changes.
I want the camera to move and the shots to change in accordance with several key points in the song.

For example: I want the camera to focus on the guitar player when the guitar solo starts.
Problem is that I don't know how to do it in After Effecst as it does not play music in real time and I have to RAM-preview like 50 times per minute.
This gets annoying, especially with a HD footage like the one I am using.
Should I set any key points/markers?

I have Adobe Prepiere installed and my gut tells me that it could be of use. I'm not very good at using it, though.

Any easy way to do this in After Effects only?
If yes, what is the right way to do this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Filip VanduerenRe: Camera sync for a song video
by on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:45:01 pm

A few things,

- you can use audio only previews
- you should set accurate markers to help you find your way in the timeline.
- take a look at the "world's greatest camera man" article.

It's a few year's old, but if you want to keep things simple, it might be the way to go.
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ebberts_dan/expression_cont.php

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon GeddesRe: Camera sync for a song video
by on Mar 15, 2009 at 6:29:26 pm

Use the decimal/delete key on the number pad to play just the audio in realtime. Place markers at the points that you want the camera movements to happen. You can even label the markers by double clicking on them if you think it will help. With the markers in place, it should be pretty easy to match up the movements to them. Until our computers are fast enough to render dozens of HD layers in realtime, this is the workflow that most of us follow.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Camera sync for a song video
by on Mar 16, 2009 at 6:26:58 pm

Well, it's time to get to know Premiere.

I would add the audio to a premiere project, and simply cut in different colored solids (or slugs, whatever Premiere calls 'em) to the beat of the music. It's LOTS easier than doing it in AE, and then you can use it as a reference for your AE animation. Heck, it doesn't even have to be full-size: it just needs to be visible in your AE project.

You can probably even add text over the different colors to indicate what you want to do: "Arc Camera to Left over this shot"

Plan out your moves in Premiere, make sure everything's the way you want it in rea litme, then do the animation in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]