Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Leen JaspersSaving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Jan 18, 2009 at 11:25:37 am

Hello,

this might be a stupid question but is it possible to save CS4 project as a CS3 project. Or can i export something that i can open in After Effects CS3?

Thanks!!

Leen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Jan 18, 2009 at 9:25:40 pm

Nope and Nope.

Someday, maybe.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott RatnerRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Feb 2, 2009 at 11:20:11 pm

Sad, I cannot believe that this is still not possible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robyn RhodesRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 10:44:10 pm

Still not possible?

I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

José LemosRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 10:18:13 am

I've found a way of doing that. It's a rough way but worked for me.

Just open with "TextEdit" or "NotePad" one project file from cs3 and the one you want from cs4.
Copy this part from the cs3 file:

And paste over the same header in the CS4 file.
I don't know if it's needed but i've also changed the version number of the last save at the end of the CS4 file from 9 to 8.
Don't forget to save the file from the text editor with a different name but with the .aep extension.
You won't be able to open the file as a project but you can import it with the File-Import menu, you just won't have the project settings but you can adjust that in 15 seconds.
Hope that helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Laura FickRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:15:04 pm

Hello Jose,
I'm curious about this workaround and would like to make an attempt. Do you mind reposting the text to modify? It was too small to read!
Many thanks,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:58:13 pm

Hello,
If you click over the text a bigger image will open. I was going to paste the text but it gave me a error.

If you're not able to open the picture, the url is this http://i1.creativecow.net/u/148587/picture4.png
Paste it on your browser in the adress bar.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:13:14 pm

Click on the picture in that post, and a readable full-size picture appears. You'll still have to type it in.

Make sure you have a back up that project file. Personally, I wouldn't attempt the backsave, especially if I used some of the new features in AE9, or Keylight, which has been updated with new controls.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cindy HillRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 2:28:31 pm

You are a lifesaver!!! I followed the instructions and presto, like magic, it worked beautifully!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jonah LefkowitzRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:06:34 am

Totally Awesome!
I can verify that this also worked for me, very well as far as I can tell.
AEP Project file was 21MB with calls to both Knoll Light Factory, keylight, and Trapcode (stroke, starglow, particular). Everything rolled back to CS3 fine except for a few minor things with keylight, as another poster pointed out. That material looked slightly different.
Still.... such a life saver.
Thanks you, -JL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marc VilarnauRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:37:14 pm

Dear all,

I need to make (regular) DVD with a movie that I have as few DPX sequences. Since the DPX files are 2K they are quite big and additionally their dimensions are quite unusual I suppose - 2200x1600px. (I know about the color issue, but I've already got over it).
As a result I want to make a PAL DVD - and my quetions are: should I use square or "dv-pal" pixel aspect ratio? I mean, which one is standard for most of regular users? Next thing - as the files are 2200x1600px, image aspect ratio doesn't match the one of PAL frame (the DPX frames are actually slightly wider) - in few words - how should I proceed to place the original image in PAL format, mantaining the original aspect ratio and not having the image stretched/deformed?

Every hint will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Pawel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 23, 2009 at 4:12:26 pm

How did your post find it's way into THIS thread? Very odd...

The actual process you want to know about is pretty easy. I'm more concerned about THE FRAME RATES. What's the frame rate of this DPX comp -- 24? 25? Something else?

If it is indeed 24, I'd forget about making a PAL DVD, I'd make a 24p NTSC DVD. Almost every PAL DVD player can play NTSC DVD's. Here's how I'd do it:
  • Render out the existing 24fps DPX comps and import the resulting files into AE.
  • Conform the file's frame rate to 23.976, not 24. 23.976 is the film frame rate in NTSC-Land.
  • Make an NTSC DV widescreen comp, and change the frame rate to 23.976.
  • Add the footage and scale it down. It's your choice whether to make the footage fit from top to bottom, which would cut off the sides a bit, or to make the footage fit from side to side, creating a slight letterbox look.
  • Render in the high-quality codec of your choice, and use the file in a DVD authoring application, where it will be changed into MPEG2 video... the ONLY kind of video that can be used in an authored DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason BrownRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:42:36 pm

Jose, I can't believe this...I NEVER knew this was possible...people ask me this all the time...sure as dave mentioned, maybe there are some things not supported...but man, to be able to access at least SOME of the animation in previous versions is huge...nice post!

-Jason

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad TurnerRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:47:43 am

José

can you give more detail on "changed the version number of the last save at the end of the CS4 file from 9 to 8. "

My file is partly importing but with some big holes. Taking a second look at the doc in text edit. i was able to find what i think was a string of saves from the original file towards the end of the doc. but i cant seem to find where it records the version, so i can change the 9 to an 8 as you had suggested.

thanks a ton!

chad

This burner does "Nicestuff".
animation I editorial I director

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Marc ThomasRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:06:27 pm

I haven't been able to import it into cs3.

I too cannot see where the version number is?

• At the very bottom of the cs3 project it says:

"LIST DPTREftwd 8 "

• And at the end of the cs4 project it says:

"?xpacket end="w"?"

I have no idea where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas FeixRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:35:08 am

Hmm... I followed the guidelines, but when I try to import the project into CS3 I get the note:

"After Effects error: chunk in file too big - probably unsupported file version"

Since I don't have CS4 & I need to open some recent stuff in CS3 which I did in CS4 I'm looking really hard for a solution...
can anyone help plz? :)

Eclipse FX
---
http://www.eclipse-fx.net
---
YouTube keyword: eclipsefx

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve BentleyRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 8:47:22 pm

It may be that CS3 does not recognize the file format because of the extension. I have found I have to save without extension out of my text editor. Then add the .aep extension to the newly saved file (check the get info box of the file to make sure it doesn't have two extensions now).
When you import to CS3 make sure you set the import type to Project.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

roei tzorefRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:25:23 pm

hi. I am trying to apply this incredible solution (if it works) to my project. I just cant find the right string to copy and the right string to replace it by... the file is too messed up.

is there an "end command string" that I should be looking for?
like say "copy until the phrase "$#$3kkdff _ H" and find the same on in the cs4 file...

can anyone help me with selecting the exact match in both projects and replace them?

here are the link to files:

cs3 notepad screenshot (an almost blank project):
http://www.gazezetmovie.com/upload/aefix/cs3_screen.jpg

cs4 notepad screenshot (just the start because the file is big)
http://www.gazezetmovie.com/upload/aefix/cs4_screen.jpg

the cs4 project:

http://www.gazezetmovie.com/upload/aefix/cs4_project.rar

any help will be much appreciated,
Roei

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stevan del GeorgeRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:31:16 pm

I am also having trouble making this work. The header from the CS4 file looks like the header listed above, but my CS3 project header info/area looks nothing like it.

Could it me my CS3 AE is PPC (on a G5) so the header is different? Here is the entire text from an empty CS3 project:
RIFX

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:56:51 pm

Look, you have to understand that AE is not backwards-compatible, but in EXTREMELY rare instances there may be a workaround, and it may be hit-and-miss even from one version to another. There are no magic formulas. There are no magic bullets. There have been attempts to get it to work from version to version, but in almost every case, the fact that it works at all is a minor miracle.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and get the upgrade.

Alternately, you can simply render out what you can from the AE 9 project for use in the AE 8 project.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

roei tzorefRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:22:41 pm

hi. thank you for your comment.
yes I was aware that I was looking for a miracle :)
but I wanted to see if that is possible...

I have both versions but the problem was that the costumer
had only the cs3 version and he wanted the project file.

and on a personal note:
thank you for your time Ive read dozens of your posts in the
last few years and there's something that I have always wondered about you
and that is: is that your real picture?
because it always seemed to me that its a picture of someone who looks like he knows stuff :) and I wondered if someone on a forum would just put that kind of picture because it suits the type of character he wants to portray :).

Roei

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mahmoued MorsiRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 4:27:37 pm

Awsome, works like a charm, Thank you!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:48:40 pm

Hello.

Sorry, i had no idea that there were so many posts, there were very few initially and i thought that no one was interested. :)
I hope that this is useful to someone after all this time, just to clarify, you should have a chunk of text that ends with " % : O d y è § ∫ œ  ˚ " (without the " ") in both projects.
Paste the text from the beginning to (including) that bit from the CS3 project, and paste over the same chunk on the CS4 project.
Marc Thomas and Chad Turner, the save version chunk looks like this (with some bits that don't appear here:

saved
xmp.iid:E6A94AC52320681192B0EFFB12EB8167
2010-09-23T18:28:23+01:00
Adobe After Effects CS5 10.0.1 Macintosh 64
/content

This is one from cs5 that i have now but should be similar to the other versions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:38:31 am

Thanks again Jose!

If anyone else is stupid like me... and didn't realize that the Notepad document is REALLY wide and you have to scroll to find the the end of the header... well... now you know. haha.

In Notepad, you can go to "Edit","Find"... and type "º", and click "find next" until you find the end of the header (since it ends with a "º").

I was able to find the entire header this time... but I still wasn't able to get it to import (even after changing the version #).

Hopefully you guys have better results.

Good luck!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:42:11 am

Thanks again Jose!

If anyone else is stupid like me... and didn't realize that the Notepad document is REALLY wide and you have to scroll to find the the end of the header... well... now you know. haha.

In Notepad, you can go to "Edit","Find"... and type "º", and click "find next" until you find the end of the header (since it ends with a "º").

I was able to find the entire header this time... but I still wasn't able to get it to import (even after changing the version #).

Hopefully you guys have better results.

Good luck!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darren PasemkoRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Nov 19, 2010 at 5:22:26 pm

Thanks José for posting that screen grab of the revision that needs to be made. Do you you, or anyone else out there have a text version that could be copied, for a quick copy and paste rather than typing it out by hand. I am unfamiliar with how to generate some of the code. The best way I know how is to copy and paste other bits of text from within the same doc which is real scavenger hunt at times. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BrunerRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 4:19:27 am

I have been trying this also with a PPC with many error messages (files import but project does not) If I have to suck it up as well I will, but in the off chance anyone from Adobe views this: this is an important feature of compatibility from machine to machine.

Chris

chris@ieditvids.com
Currently freelance. Not by choice :>
FCP/After Effects

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Benjamin PastranaRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:39:27 am

great tip! I h

I tried to do it with a CS4 document to be open with CS3 but it doesn't work.....

cs3 file header is different:

RIFX

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael LansdellRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on May 17, 2011 at 11:41:23 am

This is extremely hopeful, but... Has anyone had any success doing this with CS5 to CS4? I tried the copy and paste method but it didn't work.

Cheers,

M

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul TuersleyRe: Saving After Effects CS4 as CS3
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:24:38 pm

I've just released a script that can help with this:
http://aescripts.com/pt_opensesame/

OpenSesame brings backwards compatibility to After Effects, exporting projects that can be opened in any version from CS3 or later. Projects are exported as human readable text files that can also be edited in a text editor or spreadsheet in various ways, such as changing text layers, colors, footage and file paths.

Paul

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]