Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

No Sound in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Boris IsakovNo Sound in After Effects
by on Jan 6, 2009 at 4:54:34 pm

Hey Guys

So I installed adobe after effects cs4 on my mac and when i import a video clip the sound would now play. I now the clip has working sound because i played it through quicktime. But when I import it into After Effects it would not recognize any sound. The levels are also not moving? Any suggestions??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:47:48 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is this: do you see a little speaker icon when you put the clip in the AE timeline? You've got audio if the answer's "yes".

Second, are you hitting the space bar or the Play button in the time controls window in hopes of hearing the sound? Good luck: you won't hear any.

AE doesn't work like an editing application, it has never worked like an editing application, and probably never will. So you can't PLAY anything in AE: you have to PREVIEW it.

You can hear audio by:
* A RAM Preview, which previews as much audio & video as it can until it uses up all the RAM available to it
* Hitting the period key on the numeric keypad: AE thinks a bit, aka renders the audio, then plays it for a duration of time set in Prefereneces
* Scrubbing: hold down the Command key (ctl win) and move the timeline cursor
* Short preview: hold down the Command key (ctl win) and click and hold the timeline cursor: AE plays a few frames of audio, which is handy for locating audio hits

It sounds like actually cracking open the manual, getting to know AE Help and referring to the AE Tutorials on the COW would be a good thing for you to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Boris IsakovRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:55:23 pm

Dave thank you very much.

I think I solved the problem. When i press command and drag the timeline cursor i can hear the audio. But how would i do a ram preview and render the speaker on a mac. My macbook pro does have a numeric keypad and when i press the regular period key, it just zooms into the composition screen.

Thank you Very Much

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:58:35 pm

You can use the RAM Preview button in the time controls window. I don't know anything about keybaord shortcuts for laptops. I suppose they're in AE Help.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Jan 7, 2009 at 2:45:54 pm

Check the "Changing Shortcuts with After Effects" After Effect Podcast, here, in the COW.

Aharon Rabinowitz explain exactly how to modify the default shortcuts of AE for your laptop.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Kris GloverRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:23:17 pm

In my case, I can play the file in quicktime, with no issues. This is a file I rendered on a different system, and I rendered it with audio. But when imported into after effects, there is no audio of any kind noted by after effects. Not talking playback here, I'm talking it only sees the video information.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:32:59 pm

[Kris Glover] "...I can play the file in quicktime, with no issues... when imported into after effects, there is no audio of any kind noted by after effects... it only sees the video information. "

And I bet the file you rendered in the different application is an MPEG2 file. I also bet that the audio is embedded in the video data, called multiplexed, or Muxed.

Not only is MPEG2 a lossy codec and a lousy file format for AE (see elaboration below), you also need to have a separate audio track. So go back to your ripping software, render in a lossless codec with an attached audio track, import the resulting file into AE, and life will be good.

And here's that elaboration on MPEG2:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- Native HDV, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kris GloverRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Feb 4, 2009 at 9:00:37 pm

To be clearer, the file was rendered on another computer system, also running AE CS3. It was rendered to a quicktime file with Animation codec. Audio at 44.1, no compression. On the second system, the file runs in quicktime but not in After Effects. My belief is that possibly the Animation codec is corrupt but I can't find a standalone download.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lisa DareRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Aug 22, 2010 at 6:43:24 am

What specific codecs do you suggest changing a Quicktime movie to? Thank you very much.

Lisa Dare

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas WillsRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:33:22 pm

I have done all that you suggested and still no sound when i do a RAM preview.But i do hear it when i scrub using the control button
plz help me

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:48:17 pm

It could be an audio format thingy but chances are that you may have audio switched off in AE.

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs.com - the leader in customizable royalty-free animated backdrops

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff TosteRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:57:57 pm

i have a similar problem and i have looked into and/or tried all the above. i have a macbook pro laptop and don't have a numbers keypad.

i imported a .mov file and i can see it but i can't hear it. so i exported the audio separately and brought it in as an .aif file.

the only way i've heard any sound is by either clicking on the video file in the project panel. it then comes up in a separate window and there i can hear the audio when i play it.

also, if i click on the .aif tab in the workspace, and use the option & ctrl key and drag the scrubber, i can also hear the audio.
but that's it! i need to see video and audio the sinc up text.

can someone help me?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason KingRe: No Sound in After Effects
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 12:30:38 pm

Hi I'm new to this. Very green.

I can't get any audio during Ram preview. What is the difference between RAM Preview Options and SHIFT+RAM Preview Options.

Can someone help?

I have tried fiddling with may preferences but can't seem to get any audio from a ram prieview.

I'm attempting to cut a video against an original song of mine.

Help appreciated!

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]