Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

What would make processing, rendering, and previewing faster?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eliver LingWhat would make processing, rendering, and previewing faster?
by on Dec 27, 2008 at 11:51:27 pm

Hey guys. new to the forum. I have a question about After Effects. Lately, I've been getting into some more intense special effects. But my laptop computer can't seem to handle them. Like it will now take 15 seconds to render one frame. As a result, I'm thinking of also getting a new PC. So my question is, what features will help the most in the rendering and preview processes of After Effects? More RAM, better video card, etc.?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott RobertsRe: What would make processing, rendering, and previewing faster?
by on Dec 28, 2008 at 10:07:02 am

Look at the specs for high end video workstations and compare them to what you think would be a fast machine. They are going to build machines that are made to handle video editing - so I'd follow their model.

Color Grading presets for After Effects, Premiere, etc., plus free presets and more.

LITTLE BLACK BIRD - PROFESSIONAL VISUAL EFFECTS

http://www.littleblackbird.com

http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lars BunchRe: What would make processing, rendering, and previewing faster?
by on Dec 28, 2008 at 1:50:05 pm

Hi,

While cpu speed and the number of cores are a factor, the thing that gives you the biggest bang for the buck is memory. If you have a multi-core machine, try to install at least two gigabytes of memory per core. For example, I have a 8 core MacPro with 16 GB of memory. In AE CS3 or using Gridiron's Nucleo Pro rendering plugin, you can utilize all the cores and that extra memory will be useful.

Since AE can only access up to 3GB per core on a Mac or Windows XP (I think it can access up to 4 on Vista) There is little point in getting beyond 3GB per core.

A fast RAID helps, but probably won't give you a significant speed boost. It might help a little if you use it for your temp files, but my guess is the improvement won't be noticeable.

I hope this helps,

Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brendan CootsRe: What would make processing, rendering, and previewing faster?
by on Dec 28, 2008 at 10:44:28 pm

I agree with all of Lars' comments.

I would only add that you really should have a quad-core machine for AE work. Dual core is more of an absolute minimum. Just remember to heed the advice about the amount of RAM per CPU core. You really should install 2GB RAM or more per CPU core or AE will not be able to properly utilize your numerous cores. Since rendering/processing using multiple streams is a huge speed boost, this is one area that you can't skimp on in AE.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]