Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

JPEG Sequence Import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jon agnewJPEG Sequence Import
by on Sep 19, 2008 at 6:21:55 pm

I'm going to try to explain this as best I can...Sometimes I feel like Tarzan when attempting to communicate AE problems. haha.

I need to make a time lapse of over 40,000 still images. Obviously, it would be best for AE to interpret these images as a JPEG Sequence. Generally, the method I use to create the JPEG sequence is to drag the folder containing the images into my project window. However, my client has used a naming format based on the year/date/time that the image was captured, instead of the standard sequential name_01/name_02 etc. Now, when I try to import the folder as a JPEG sequence, AE thinks that the sequence is missing frames and will not import.

Is there a way that I can tell AE not to worry about the so-called missing frames and create the JPEG sequence anyway?

I hope I explained that effectively. Though I doubt it. haha.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: JPEG Sequence Import
by on Sep 19, 2008 at 6:46:49 pm

Here's what AE Help says on the topic on P. 81 of the AE8 Help PDF:

"When importing a sequence of still images, you can use the Force Alphabetical Order option in the Import dialog box to import a sequence with gaps in its numbering (e.g., Seq1, Seq2, Seq3, Seq5). If you import a sequence with gaps in its numbering without selecting this option, After Effects warns you of missing frames and replaces them with placeholders."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jon agnewRe: JPEG Sequence Import
by on Sep 19, 2008 at 6:54:45 pm

Who would have guessed that the information I needed was in the Help Menu? That Dave LaRonde fella never ceases to amaze me. :)

Thanks, Dave!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian BrownRe: JPEG Sequence Import
by on Mar 3, 2009 at 8:56:23 am

Hi Jon
I note from your post that you are creating time lapse from massive numbers of jpg images, and I am doing the same.

I wanted to know whether you had any tips you want to share for the stabilisation of the individual jpgs. They are generally stable as the camera is fixed, but there are slight variations os a few pixels due to environment etc over the period of photography, which result in jerky motion. There are too many images to manually.

For your issue, I would mention that there are some great batch files renaming utilities for Mac and PC, becuase I often run to the type of issue you mentioned and being able to batch rename thousands of files is extrememly handy.
Thanks and regards

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]