Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

From Premiere to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sean HarperFrom Premiere to After Effects
by on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:55:25 am

hey all, I'm having trouble editing my Premiere Pro Cs3 projects in After Effects CS3.

To edit my Premiere projects I've been exporting them in High Quality formats like MPGE-2 or blue-ray(I need to know if there is any higher)

and then importing them into A.E.

then, after I do some video magic, I export it in another high format to premiere, which I then export to youtube or some jazz.

I need to know if there is a way of sending my projects right from premiere to AE.

and what format could I export from After Effects to a really high quality without having to send it to premiere again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon BonnerRe: From Premiere to After Effects
by on Aug 22, 2008 at 9:20:25 am

Format-wise, it depends what you're using the footage for. If you plan to do more work on a video file you should aim for a lossless codec or one that uses minimal compression. Try lossless avi or QT animation / photo JPEG. These files may be too large to play on your pc, but since they're not intended for playing (they're for doing more work on) it's not a big issue.

When you ask what a good codec to use for rendering from AE so "you don't have to go back to premiere" I assume you mean a high quality but compressed codec to allow playback or upload to the web. Try DivX or QT h.264, or mpeg2 if you're going to dvd.

To get your prem projects into AE without rendering, just import the whole prem project into AE as you would a normal video file. Be aware though that some effects applied in prem won't work correctly in AE.

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysFX

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex DouglasRe: From Premiere to After Effects
by on May 24, 2011 at 12:26:35 pm

Hi Simon, I came across this post while looking for another fix and you touched on the answer I need so I'll ask in case ou know…

You mentioned that the videos will lose the video effects when you import the proj into AE which is the problem I had. Is there a way to stop this happening or whats the best workflow? I have my edited movie and done colour correction on it in Prem but need to add stuff in AE. Obviously I can render the whole movie out and re import into AE but the fact you CAN import the project without rendering seems like it should be able to be done or it's a bit of a useless feature, isn;t it?
Any ideas?
Cheers, Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul FechtmeisterRe: From Premiere to After Effects
by on Aug 22, 2008 at 9:25:02 am

Hi,

Use the animation codec from Premier if available. Probably can just import premier into after effects and then export from there too. If your project is long, like more than 10 min I wouldn't do the whole thing in AE as it isn't a video editor. I'd do my animation in AE and take to premier and then export the whole thingy.

my 2 cents.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Justin ParkerRe: From Premiere to After Effects
by on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:19:48 pm

Paul,
You can copy & paste clips from the premiere timeline to the AE timeline (if they are both open). YOu can also import a Premiere project the same as you import any other file. the help menus for AE and Premiere have plenty of info on the subject.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david aretskyRe: From Premiere to After Effects
by on Aug 22, 2008 at 5:05:07 pm

Ok here is how to do it.

Make sure to save your premiere project before doing anything or it will not work.

Make a timeline with the part of the footage you want to use AE on.
Save project. After saving open After Effects.

Choose File > Import
Now import the Premiere project. In the dialog box just import the timeline you want to work on.

Do your thing in AE. Save the after effects project.

Now go back into PP.

File > Dynamic Link > Import After Effects Project (it's something like that)

Now choose the AE project and open the comp that you made in AE.
Drop that comp into a timeline and render out with your choice of settings.

That is it.

dangerd

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]