Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

.AVI Render File Size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gabe Cotto.AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 5:27:06 pm

Hello All.

Okay I have client who needs me to take an .AVI file and put it on a Digital Picture Frame. The DPF supports .AVI files with an aspect ratio of 480x234 as long as the file size is less than 128mb.

So here's the problem. I have an AVI file that is 35.6mb but with an aspect ratio of 480x360. I'm trying to use AE to letter box the video inside the 480x234 aspect ratio for the Digital Picture Frame, but when I render the video I'm getting a file size that's well over a gig. How do I reduce the file size? I converted the original file from a .MOV to and .AVI using a another program and the file size only increased by about 5mb.Why is AE turning 35mb into 1.5gb?

Can you guys help me?

"Auto save is life."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron CoyRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 5:54:45 pm

you're probably rendering this as an uncompressed video file.

You need to choose an output module or at least change the default render settings to something that compresses the file size somewhat.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gabe CottoRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 5:58:48 pm

Thank you, but I'm looking for a more direct answer. I don't use .AVI files hardly at all, in fact this is the first time I need to deliver an .AVI file period. Hence why I'm using After Effects and not Sorenson or Compressor to convert the file for me.

I'm hoping someone in the Cow community has some expertize with the .AVI files.

"Auto save is life."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darby EdelenRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 6:21:26 pm

[Gabe Cotto] "I'm hoping someone in the Cow community has some expertize with the .AVI files. "

You need more information about what is supported by the device. AVI is not a codec, it is a container format like MOV. An AVI could be DV, MPEG-4, Uncompressed, etc. What codecs are supported?

AE renders to a lossless AVI by default, which will give you a very large file. You need to find out what codecs are supported and render to one of those that will give you a smaller file size.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gabe CottoRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 6:24:09 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

Here are the specifications the client sent to me an a email:

"Can the video be put in Motion JPEG (AVI) format? We bought digital frames as a recognition gift for the engineers and the frames support AVI format - I don't know anything about this."

Does this open up any doors for me?

Thank you,
Gabe

"Auto save is life."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darby EdelenRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 7:15:24 pm

[Gabe Cotto] "Here are the specifications the client sent to me an a email:

"Can the video be put in Motion JPEG (AVI) format? We bought digital frames as a recognition gift for the engineers and the frames support AVI format - I don't know anything about this." "

Follow the directions that Rob gives below and select Motion JPEG as the codec.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 7:41:36 pm

Umm ... I seem to recall that Motion-JPEG isn't an AVI codec. Your contact probably means MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, neither of which is Motion-JPEG. Try compressing to MPEG-1.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron CoyRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 6:28:49 pm

ok... when you go to Make Movie, and the render queue shows up, there is a listing for Render Settings and one for Output Module

Click the word Best Settings and check everything out there, make sure it's all the way you want it. You probably don't need to change anything, but just check it out if you want to.

Then click the word Lossless.

If the format is AVI, then click the Format Options button under Video Output.

Change the compression type to something that actually compresses the video. Set your quality settings and everything up, then hit okay.

Hit Ok at the bottom, then hit Render.

that's about all you need to know. The choice of compression codec is entirely up to you can what the photo frame thingy will suppoort.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tito ndayishimiyeRe: .AVI Render File Size
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:35:45 am

i have a question

i rendered a AVI video in After effect it 45seconds clip
and after its done it was 1.93 GB why???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]