Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

ink droping into water

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matthias Muellerink droping into water
by on May 29, 2008 at 3:49:53 pm

hi there,

does anyone know, if there is a possibility to simulate ink droping into water in after effects?
Thanks for your help.

Matt

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

graham smithRe: ink droping into water
by on May 29, 2008 at 7:24:13 pm

you know in particular, is it possible to isolate the particles created on collision?

if so you could make alot of collusion particles using an appropiate texture layer
and then use that pre-comped layer in a new layer and apply mecury or even median/level
to tweak.

im not saying this will be good but its my thoughts on how the tacle this.
good luck and mail me if you have a result on that please.

graham

life is breathtaking!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david bogieRe: ink droping into water
by on May 29, 2008 at 7:48:03 pm

Easier to shoot it.
You haven't really said what you're trying to accomplish.
Creating the drop of ink is easy (shape layer or any piece of artwork from PS or AI)
Making a set of ripples is easy (Wave World)
A splash is almost impossible because AE is not a 3d application.
Creating a realistic dispertion of the ink dye into clear water is certainly possible but depends on yoru ability to use particle systems. Not easy.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: ink droping into water
by on May 29, 2008 at 8:17:57 pm

yep, i think it would be more work than it would be worth and the results would not be as good as you'd like... you can also just buy it, i know videocopilot.net has some ink drops into water (part of riot gear, i think), and i've seen them on other stock footage sites.

if you want to give it a shot, you might look at this tutorial by harry frank (greymachine) for wispy smoke. your system would seem to be similar, but you would want the emitter to move downward and the particles to move more outward (his wispies rise)...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James MayoRe: ink droping into water
by on Mar 2, 2009 at 2:16:33 pm

i purchased the riot gear product, and there were some samples of ink drops movie file.... is the tutorial on how to that is the topic here?... I wish there's a tutorial on that.. a text or a video tutorial... thanks..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: ink droping into water
by on Mar 2, 2009 at 5:08:56 pm

[James Mayo] "is the tutorial on how to that is the topic here?... I wish there's a tutorial on that.. a text or a video tutorial... thanks.."

In a way, this entire thread has been the tutorial. If you want to get such a thing using After Effects ALONE, your list of options is somewhat short. Here's what you do:
  • Get a camera
  • Get some soft lights
  • Get a motorized turntable that turns heavy objects smoothly
  • Get a cylindrical vessel made of very smooth glass and fill it with water
  • Get a white background
  • Get some ink and an eyedropper
  • Turn on the lights, roll the camera, drop ink in water

Now, the turntable and cylindrical vessel are optional. You could just as easily use a big aquarium.

Yes, this takes practice. Yes, you may not get it right the first time. Yes, it may take a long time to get just what you want. But to achieve the degree of randomness plus the organic feel that's required, this technique is what EVERY ONE of the frequent contributors to this forum has recommended thus far to get this particular effect.

Got it now? Any other questions?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James MayoRe: ink droping into water
by on Mar 3, 2009 at 6:31:20 am

Oh no =s ...yeah... anyway there's no harm in trying... =)
Sir, thank you very much for the enlightenment... Sooner or later i might get this one right and perfect...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]