Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

HELP! keying blurry footage. arrgh!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Prad SenanayakeHELP! keying blurry footage. arrgh!
by on May 8, 2008 at 9:05:14 am

Hi all,
Recently shot something on the Varicam, ingested as ProRes 422 for keying. But there is a big problem. My DOP unwittingly lowered the shutter to get a better saturation on the bluescreen and what i now have is blur/ghosting on fast movements that are really messing with me getting a good key! Apart from a lot of roto, is there anything else i should try. Please help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy FabianoRe: HELP! keying blurry footage. arrgh!
by on May 8, 2008 at 12:29:57 pm

I can't answer about techniques, but after toying with keying for a bit, Keylight is probably the plugin you're going to need...
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/pkg_overview.aspx?ui=A5FB8E97-D752-4E01-AC7D-17...

They have a demo license on there, but I don't remember what the demo's limitation is.

Don't get me wrong tho.. it's $420 US.. but it's never failed me *grins*

Hope this points you in the right direction..

-Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joey ForemanRe: HELP! keying blurry footage. arrgh!
by on May 8, 2008 at 1:26:55 pm

Keylight is packaged with After Effects.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator
Nowhere Productions, Athens, GA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy AllenRe: HELP! keying blurry footage. arrgh!
by on May 8, 2008 at 4:31:50 pm

I hate to say it, but I think you're kinda screwed. That is just the opposite of what he should've done (crank up the shutter to reduce motion blur).. It's pretty much impossible to unblur footage with good results.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.2
DualCore G5 2.0 GHZ, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.4.11

AE7 on both for now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy FabianoRe: HELP! keying blurry footage. arrgh!
by on May 8, 2008 at 4:49:32 pm

Heh - wasn't with the copy I'm using :(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2008 at 4:41:08 pm

Do you know how to use edge & core/holdout mattes? You're not going to get a decent key with only one instance of the effect.
One instance gives you a soft edge that can catch the motion blur, but will make the interior of your matte semi-transparent. The second instance on a second layer gives you a solid center but crunchy edges. You combine the two for an optimal key.
Take a look at AE Studio Techniques by Mark Christiansen for detailed tutorials.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Effects-Professional-Studio-Techniques/dp/03214...

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

nel johnsonRe: HELP! keying blurry footage. arrgh!
by on May 8, 2008 at 6:13:24 pm

Hi Prad,

I've just finished a spot with a really similar setup - basically 2 rappers performing in front of a green screen, and yes.. lots of blurred movement.

I wrestled with this for a long time, trying to sharpen shots etc, nothing worked. Then I figured that I'd go with the blur rather than trying to get rid of it. Keylight is your friend here in lots of ways. With judicious tweaking of the shots (checking the matte in Keylight's status viewer) and adjusting black and white values I ended up with a lovely key. Keylight intelligently colour corrected the unwanted green in the blur. Finally I added a bit of lightwrap to sit the subject into the background better. I used KeyCorrect lighwrap but you can get a version in many plugin sets, Walker etc.

My advice, and it may be against common experience, rather than sharpen the shots, go with the blur and rely on colour correction to get rid of leftover spill.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2008 at 7:46:58 pm

Studio Techniques also has a tutorial on how to roll your own lightwrap.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]