Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

exported quicktime loops add frame/skip...need help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alan Jonesexported quicktime loops add frame/skip...need help
by on Apr 22, 2008 at 7:03:24 pm

I created a background loop in after effects that lasts 10 seconds. When I exported the loop to a quicktime using sorenson 3 compression, it added an extra frame on the end of loop. So, if I go to play it back in a presentation software, it has a blip when it loops. Any ideas or past posts on this issue? I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm working through a project and would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
AJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: exported quicktime loops add frame/skip...need help
by on Apr 22, 2008 at 7:55:03 pm

Make your composition ONE FRAME SHORTER than it currently is, and it should loop seamlessly.

You made a common mistake: you made the animation loop completely within the composition. That means you have two identical frames, one at the very beginning and one at the very end. But if you end your comp one frame early, what will be the next frame? The beginning frame, which is identcal to the final frame.

Alternately, you could simply move your keyframes at the end one frame beyond the end of the comp... which AE allows you to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan JonesRe: exported quicktime loops add frame/skip...need help
by on Apr 22, 2008 at 9:54:05 pm

You made a common mistake: you made the animation loop completely within the composition.

Right, I know that I can bring the clip into Final Cut Pro, trim the excess frame and export again and it will work just fine. Obviously when I do that, I'm losing quality each time. I'm trying to avoid that and just export out of AE.

But if you end your comp one frame early, what will be the next frame? The beginning frame, which is identcal to the final frame.

Still feeling my way through AE..been using FCP for a while, but AE is a new challenge. What is the best way to do this? (sorry, you have to speak loud and slow :)...)

thanks for the help,
aj

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 22, 2008 at 10:04:58 pm

There are two ways to do it:

1: The "Make the comp one frame shorter" approach: go to the very end of the comp. Now, go back just ONE FRAME toward the beginning. now hit the e key. You 've now limited AE's Work Area by one frame. Since AE defaults to rendering only the work area, your file will be one frame shorter.

2: The "Move the keyframe" approach: go to the very end of the comp. Find your ending keyframes; I presume they're now at the last frame of the comp. Move them ONE FRAME LATER, byeond the end of the comp. If you've already incorporated looping footage of a specified duration in your comp, You'll HAVE to use this method.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 22, 2008 at 10:15:29 pm

thanks Dave! You rock!

aj

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2008 at 12:01:42 am

A question: my compositions are setup at 29.97 fps....would it help to change it to 30 fps? When I extend the timeline view to show individual frames, the composition (10 seconds) won't let me move the current time indicator past the 29f of the last second. Also, my ending key frame of the effect in my composition is set on the 29th frame (29f). Should I move it to the 10:00 mark? thanks for the help.

AJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2008 at 2:40:25 pm

[Alan Jones] "A question: my compositions are setup at 29.97 fps....would it help to change it to 30 fps? "

NO!!! Just leave it at 29.97.

If your comp length is set to exactly 10 seconds, the last usable frame of the comp falls at 09:29. Why? Because the first frame of the comp is 00:00. Just as 00:01 - 10:00 is exactly 10 seconds, so is 00:00 - 09:29.

You can still move the keyframes one frame past the last frame. Highlight them and move them. Try it. AE lets you do this expressly for the purpose of creating looping video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nicholas GouldRe: exported quicktime loops add frame/skip...need help
by on Oct 6, 2008 at 5:56:04 am

Quote:

1: The "Make the comp one frame shorter" approach: go to the very end of the comp. Now, go back just ONE FRAME toward the beginning. now hit the e key. You 've now limited AE's Work Area by one frame. Since AE defaults to rendering only the work area, your file will be one frame shorter.

I tried doing this and am still getting the same problem; the last 2 frames of the loop are the same, giving me a blip. I tried bringing it into FCP and chopping off the last frame manually, but it still repeats the last frame of the file.

It's an .swf exported out of AE as a .mov with Motion Jpeg A compression. Resolution 3072 X 768. Anyone? This is urgent. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]