Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Error with .mov files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Neil CarrollError with .mov files
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:10:01 pm

I am having an issue with .mov files in After Effects CS3. I get an error saying that .mov files are not supported. They have been supported in past versions and I can't imagine that Adobe would remove that support.

Any suggestions?

Neil

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Error with .mov files
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:20:52 pm

.mov files are Quicktime movies. Did you get rid of Quicktime, or are you trying to use a QT codec you don't have?

Apple has a nasty tendancy to add certain codecs that are only available if you own the current version of Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Suite. In my opinion, that stinks.

If it's a case where you have Quicktime, but you don't have the codec, have whoever captured your footage change it into something you can read.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil CarrollRe: Error with .mov files
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:49:07 pm

The files are Cinema 4d renders. I have always output them in .mov format without any problems, but I can change if need be. I am more worried about opening past projects and having all my video references off line.

I didn't consider that it could have been quicktime causing the problem. It seemed to coincide with the installation of CS3. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Error with .mov files
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 7:51:59 pm

there were issues with qt7.4 that were fixed with 7.4.1, although your problem does not match the issues i've heard about.

there are also updates to ae that don't come up in the adobe updater. you can download those from adobe's ae download site, i think the current version is 8.0.2.

the only other thing i can think of is what dave already mentioned... that you rendered to a codec that you don't have installed anymore, or maybe isn't compatible with your current version of quicktime. but if you rendered to lossless animation, that should work with just about any version of quicktime and is a standard codec that comes with quicktime on any platform....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roman FluteRe: Error with .mov files
by on Apr 16, 2008 at 11:59:03 pm

This has just happened to me starting about an hour ago. I was able to import this morning and now nothing. I am checking to make sure nobody has updated Quicktime or something. But I am trying to find a solution

Roman Flute
Motion Graphics/Multimedia Developer
http://www.romanflute.com
roman@romanflute.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2008 at 12:27:26 pm

Roman here is my update if it helps.

With the update to After Effects and Quicktime I have been able to import newly created quicktime files into CS3, but existing ones are still a problem. However, these older files behave normally when I open an earlier CS2 version of the project.

Neil

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roman FluteRe: Error with .mov files
by on Apr 17, 2008 at 2:27:19 pm

Yeah - I ended up backing up to an older version of QT. A new update had been put on it. Very Irritating. But up and running again!

RF

Roman Flute
Motion Graphics/Multimedia Developer
http://www.romanflute.com
roman@romanflute.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Error with .mov files
by on Apr 17, 2008 at 2:41:33 pm

[Neil Carroll] "older files behave normally when I open an earlier CS2 version of the project"

are you using an intel mac? i'm asking because it interesting that it works on ae7 but not ae8... ae7 is only powerpc and must run under rosetta (ppc emulation) on an intel mac, but cs3 is intel native. being intel native, it requires all effects and codecs to be intel native as well. so you may have (or have found) a problem with the codec used for your .mov files that is not working with your intel mac....

if you do have an intel mac and want to test this, select your ae cs3 application and choose file>get info. check the box that says 'open using rosetta', then see if you can open any of those older projects in cs3.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2008 at 3:59:42 pm

Unfortunately, no mac at all. Windows XP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

joeri kassenaarRe: Error with .mov files
by on May 26, 2008 at 10:42:20 am

Same problem here.

WindowsXP.
Fresh CS3 production premium install on QT Pro 7.4.5
(AE 8.0.2.27 "Quicktime installed")

Cant open any .mov ( not raw, nothing AE7 opens them just fine).

---

I've renamed all folders in
C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe After Effects CS3Support FilesPlug-insFormatMediaIO
to names without ( )..
So made codecs from (codecs).

It seems to work now except for large files over a network.
Same .mov on a local disk works...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]