Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Repeat footage in same layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
gabriel carlineRepeat footage in same layer?
by on Mar 10, 2008 at 10:26:47 pm

This seems like a basic function but I can't find how to do it anywhere in AE or on any forums/tutorials:

I want to use the same small composition of footage (18secs) and have it repeat over a minute or more in one layer. The only way I can repeat the same footage is by using different layers for each repetition. I normally want to use this function for music loops but also with video. Is there a way of doing this without first creating the repeating footage in another programme?

With audio software I am used to using it's a simple case of copy and paste within a layer to create a seemless loop of the content...

Any help much appreciated.

Gab

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael RicksRe: Repeat footage in same layer?
by on Mar 10, 2008 at 11:14:42 pm

Right click on the footage in the Project Window. Click Interpret Footage. At the bottom, under Other Options, it'll say "Loop _ Times." By default it's set to 1. But just increase that number however many times you want it to loop.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gabriel carlineRe: Repeat footage in same layer?
by on Mar 11, 2008 at 9:14:00 am

amazing, thought it would be something simple.. however, do i have to render the composition first before i can do that. just tried and there isn't an interpret option when right-clicking on a comp that i'm working on...
works fine with movie clips and music though.

thanks a million

gab

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Repeat footage in same layer?
by on Mar 11, 2008 at 9:23:54 pm

if it is a nested comp, select the nested comp in the timeline and choose layer>time>enable time remapping... that will add a time remapping attribute with 2 key frames to the the nested comp.

select the the time remapping attribute (don't click the stop watch, you want to keep those keyframes) and choose animation>add expression. this will add an expression field to that attribute. type, or paste, loopOut() into the field. this will loop the footage indefinitely. if needed, drag the end point of that layer for the duration needed.

if you happen to get a black frame at the end of the loop, go to the end key frame of the in the time remapping attrbute, move back (in front) of the key frame, and add a new key frame (don't drag the end key frame). then delete the old end key frame.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

gabriel carlineRe: Repeat footage in same layer?
by on Mar 12, 2008 at 5:50:11 pm

ur a genius. thank you very much...

:-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steph FosterRe: Repeat footage in same layer?
by on Jun 22, 2008 at 8:06:30 am

Thanks Kevin, that's just what I was looking for

steph.p.foster {at} gmail {dot} com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ajay pratapRe: Repeat footage in same layer?
by on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:52:01 pm

Hi..
This question is different from the original thread ,anyway,I have been working on 3d stroke and have almost achieved the desired effect that I needed,however,I have a small problem looping the different colors.If i use an expression,few colors that i dont want are present (even black and white). So,I manually put different colors at equal intervals of the timeline.
I would like to loop these few colors that i have animated till the end of the timeline.. using the time remapping attribute to add an expression is not an option. how do i go about it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]