Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

16:9 full height anamorphic!?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew Goodman16:9 full height anamorphic!?!
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 9:44:43 am

Hi guys,

If someone could help me on this I’d be so grateful! I am working on a TV ad and I am making it in AF although the TV stations are requesting it be given to them as 16:9 full height anamorphic!?!

I am used to 4:3 and understand 16:9 but the 'full height anamorphic' bit is over my head... what comp size do I need for this and render setting... am in the uk so its pal I need... as said if anyone could shed some light on this it would be great!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter RongstedRe: 16:9 full height anamorphic!?!
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 11:16:16 am

"Full Height Anamorphic" means that it is a 720x576 image that will be stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio later on.
In After Effects you need to choose PAL D1/DV Widescreen in both the Preset and the Pixel Aspect Ratio when you make your new comp.

If you need to bring in any footage that is already anamorphic make sure to let AE know that it is anamorphic. i.e. click the clip in the project window and press cmd+f (or ctrl+f) if you are on a pc (I think).
And choose widescreen in the pixel aspect ratio drop down menu.

You can work in widescreen by toggling the Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction on in the bottom of the viewer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: 16:9 full height anamorphic!?!
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 12:38:39 pm

you can also choose to work in a square pixel dv or d1 widescreen preset... it's a little easier on the eyes and some things don't work well in nonsquare-pixel-land. as long as all your footage is interpreted correctly, ae will handle the pixel aspect ratio correction for you.

then, when you are ready to render the final, drop your square pixel comp into a a d1 or dv widescreen preset comp (nonsqare pixel preset), ae will handle the pixel aspect ratio conversion. then just render the final for delivery.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: 16:9 full height anamorphic!?!
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 2:01:40 pm

i should have noted that working in square pixel, then rendering the final in non-square will add about 20% to the render time due to the 20% larger comp size of the square pixel widescreen frame...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew GoodmanRe: 16:9 full height anamorphic!?!
by on Apr 17, 2008 at 3:00:58 pm

thanks for this! it was a big help and worked a treat! much appreciated guys

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ternel telesforoRe: 16:9 full height anamorphic!?!
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 12:35:34 pm

Hi Guys! What is 16:9 shoot and protect 14:9 safe action and for graphics thing? I have this project also in UK. Is this same as in 720x576? I don't understand the 14:9 safe action. Hope you can help me to understand this in a simple way. Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]