Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Cost of a good green screen.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
James BondaygeeCost of a good green screen.
by on Dec 14, 2007 at 5:56:58 am

How much does it cost to get a decent green-screen these days? One that rolls down nicely and extends outward on the floor 3 meters or so?

I hear refelecmedia is good but it's rather pricey.

Is green better than blue usually?

thanks!

james

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron zanderRe: Cost of a good green screen.
by on Dec 14, 2007 at 6:31:29 am

priceless....?

But seriously, get a base line on price at filmtools.com thats about the mid-ground, on guaranteed quality it may be worth it. Don't skimp now, good screen is CRUCIAL for time saving drag and drop preset keylight settings

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Cost of a good green screen.
by on Dec 14, 2007 at 4:35:39 pm

[James Bondaygee] "Is green better than blue usually?"

In the realm of digital video, green is typically better, because the luminace channel of a TV signal -- the channel containing the most amount of detail -- is based on green. Then you'd need a keying plugin that can take advantage of that detail, like DV Matte Pro from DV Garage.

But the green-blue question really depends on what you're trying to do. For example, it would be a bad idea to put Kermit The Frog on a green screen. Similarly, you'd want to put the Blue Man Group on a green screen.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

beenyweeniesRe: Cost of a good green screen.
by on Dec 14, 2007 at 6:21:31 pm

Be wary of the cheaper muslin screens, every last tiny wrinkle will impact the quality of your keys. A good chroma key backdrop should be laminated to foam or some other backing material to keep it flat and wrinkle-free. These types of screens are more expensive but definitely worth it. Go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com and search for "Matthews chroma key" to see some decent backdrops.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Caleb ArmstrongRe: Cost of a good green screen.
by on Dec 14, 2007 at 8:23:27 pm

Best greenscreen I've ever used was a giant length of bright, bright green velveteen or velour that a friend of mine purchased from the local fabric store. And it only cost like $3.00 a yard or something like that. I'm not saying that it's the ideal solution for you, but we got great results from it, even with less than adequate lighting.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Cost of a good green screen.
by on Dec 14, 2007 at 10:38:22 pm

one problem with standard fabric can be the width... you'll probably need to hang a few side-by-side, and getting the seems to not be a problem can, well, be a problem...

but i will say that spending more time and money on lighting to over come a cheap green screen solution is often cheaper and produces better results than spending more money on a good green screen with poor lighting...

Kevin Camp
Designer - KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]