Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Exciting project; unsure of output/workflow.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eric SteinbergExciting project; unsure of output/workflow.
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 10:16:30 am

Hello!

I have landed an exciting job where I'm going to create visual content for a large screen which will be projected on stage behind a choir ("choirsinging/electronica/world music-ish") during their performances. I'll do just about everything in After Effects. There will be at least 3 different versions, where the longest will be appx. 70 minutes long. In addition, the choir wants a CD and/or DVD produced that they can sell on tour and online.
So I naturally want everything to look its best, and I have a few questions:

For the stage shows, we're planning to deliver this on Blu-ray Disk (BD), at 1920 x 1080, and 25 fps (I live in Europe). Is BD the best choice, or will compression artifacts appear (I've never made BD before)? Would I be better off using a designated PC with a fast RAID for playback of a less compressed format, or is there another option I haven't thought of? Quality is very important, as is portability of their playback system for when they go on the road.
Should I make it 1080i or 1080p? 1080i is a preset in After Effects, but can I make my output 1080p for BD? Should I in my case?

I have other questions about this project, but I'll ask those in a separate post. All help and advise greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Exciting project; unsure of output/workflow.
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 2:42:36 pm

Here in the USA, Blu-Ray seems to be losing the battle with HD DVD. If that's the case in Europe, you might want to re-think which kind of disk you make.

I don't know for certain if Blu-Ray or HD DVD can accept 1080p, but I can't help but think the answer is "yes". This kind of application would seem best-suited for progressive scan.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Exciting project; unsure of output/workflow.
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 2:50:14 pm

Did you post in the DVD Authoring or Live & Stage Events COW forums?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric SteinbergRe: Exciting project; unsure of output/workflow.
by on Aug 28, 2007 at 5:32:40 am

No, but thanks for the tip... I'll ask there also. I figured since part of my question is regarding my render settings in AE (1080i or 1080p), and since 1080p is not a preset in AE, I'd try here first.

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Exciting project; unsure of output/workflow.
by on Aug 28, 2007 at 1:33:48 pm

Oh, it doesn't have to be a preset. Your comp simply needs to be at the proper screen resolution and pixel aspect ratio. You interpret any progressive footage as having NO fields, and you render with NO fields.

And then you get a progressive file. Simple, eh?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric SteinbergRe: Exciting project; unsure of output/workflow.
by on Aug 29, 2007 at 5:46:09 am

Thanks, yes I'm aware of that. :-) I've made several projects in the past at all kinds of sizes and field priority settings. But never for Blu-ray, which is totally new to me. So I basically wanted to make sure that choosing my own settings (1080p) actually will result in a Blu-ray compatible file. Sorry if my question was unclear. So to restate what I'm wondering about: Does it make any difference whether I render interlaced or not when final output is Blu-ray, and it will be played through a projector?

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]