Re: Lava Lamp Effect by Maltaannon on Aug 22, 2007 at 1:50:35 am
hey! i had this tutorial in my mind for a long time, but i thought about it as "Blob mesh". i thought that it's useless but it looks like someone really needs it. and Lava Lamp sounds much better so be ready. the tutorial is coming.
the basic idea is to draw the blobs, apply some turbulence if you wish, blur them quite a bit, and then apply alpha levels on the adjustment layer above them.
this may be not the exact recipe since i don't remember how i did it when i was planning the tutorial, but since someone needs to know, i'm sure to check it out and record a new tut.
Re: Lava Lamp Effect by Rutger on Aug 22, 2007 at 2:08:06 am
I think you can get pretty far with the CC Mr. Mercury effect. Requires quite a bit of tweaking though. A few tips:
- Set keyframes for birthrate to release a few blobs initially and then set it to zero.
- have the birth and death size set to the same value
- Set the influence map to "blob in" or "constant blobs"
- reduce the velocity to almost zero
- play with gravity to have the blobs go up and down (possibly have two or more layers to have up and down movement)
- reduce the ambient shading to get a nicer 3D effect
- Color it with your favorite color correction tool.