Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Moving the anchor point without moving a layer's location

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
DanielaMoving the anchor point without moving a layer's location
by on Jan 26, 2007 at 8:00:12 pm

I was wondering if there is a tool that I can use to move a layer's anchor point without moving the layer's location, like you can do in Illustrator, where one can change the anchor point with the rotation tool, for example.

I am animating a character and when I change the anchor point of the arm, for example, then, I have to re-position the arm again in its former location. It is kind of double work... It should be a way to do it without this extra work of re-locating the element position...

D.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dan EbbertsRe: Moving the anchor point without moving a layer's location
by on Jan 26, 2007 at 8:26:13 pm

Use the Pan Behind tool. It looks kind of like this:

[o]

or, keyboard shortcut = Y

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+4

Denez McAdooRe: Moving the anchor point without moving a layer's location
by on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:37:15 pm

Ok, but what if I want to move the anchor point with out moving the layer AND I need it to hit a precise location?

Basically, I'm bring many layers into a comp and I need them to "land" in an exact location with their anchor points being the same as well (so they will scale the same). Punching in numbers would be exact - using the "pan behind tool" is just a rough guess.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Harry HoagRe: Moving the anchor point without moving a layer's location
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:53:42 am

Sorry, I don't know of a way of doing this but if anyone does it'll be really useful. Particularly for 3D layers where using the pan behind shifts the anchors zpos

--

this is something that should be build into after effects but you could use this expression as a work around. (it's a bit crude maybe someone can make it better).

on a 2d solid's position property put this:

a = transform.anchorPoint;
p = transform.position;

x = p[0]+(a[0]-50);
y = p[1]+(a[1]-50);

[x,y]

You'll need to put the anchor points starting position in place of the 50s (for example on a default 1920x1080 solid you'll need to put 960 and 540)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]