Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

I got that "opening sound component (-2166)" error...HELP

COW Forums : Creative COW Magazine feedback

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
mellogrfxI got that "opening sound component (-2166)" error...HELP
by on Jan 22, 2007 at 2:51:23 pm

Hi all, I have a had terrible trouble rendering a quicktime 7 out from After Effects...well, I've researched this After Effects Error (opening sound component -2166) and to my SURPRISE it is caused by quicktime...very strange but none-the-less I need to uninstall qt 7pro and install 6.5 whatever...now I have tried the ReInstall packet from the qt d/l site and it give a install error saying "You cannotinstall this software on this volume. This disk is dimmed because it does not contain an appropriate version of QuickTime" This is where I have qt installed so I do not know how to get around this....can someone PLEASE HELP...so I guess i need to completely unistall qt 7pro but I've never done this before and need a little help. Do I throw away all the folders from my app folder and from the Lbrary folder too? This is crazy, can anyone help?
Yes, I am running AE 5.5 and now I need to run QuickTime 6.5 instead of QT 7pro.
thnx in advanced

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

madmac66Re: I got that "opening sound component (-2166)" error...HELP
by on Jan 22, 2007 at 8:34:21 pm

Yes, i would start by trashing QT app and any prefs. But it does leave a litter trail of installed components so may not work optimally. I rolled back once before but cannot remember what I did. May have been an installer specifically from Apple that has an uninstall option. Have not seen that otherwise...

good luck and post your results as I am in the same boat with QT7 sound component hell....
mm66

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mellogrfxRe: I got that "opening sound component (-2166)" error...HELP
by on Jan 25, 2007 at 6:03:06 pm

Hey and thnx for your reply...I did find a fix. I HAD TO UPGRADE TO AE7. Now AE7 is really nice and I'm sure we were going to upgrade in the near future...however, to be FORCED just doesn't set well w/me. Who ever dropped the ball on this (Adobe or Apple) needs to be VERY careful in the future...next time why don't you guys (ADOBE or Apple) just give us the heads-up so we won't have to WASTE TIME TRYING TO FIND A FIX!!!!!!!!
Well, I better go...I HAVE TONS OF RENDERING to CATCH-UP on.
have a nice day ;-)
mark

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron LindeboomRe: I got that "opening sound component (-2166)" error...HELP
by on Jan 25, 2007 at 9:02:42 pm

We ran an article in Creative COW Magazine's debut issue that addressed how to optimally succeed when running software...basically, the answer was run the system OS version and QT, etc., for which your software were written. (The article was written by Jerry Hofmann and addressed FCP but the principles are the same.)

Expecting an almost three-year-old version of software to correctly run with new system and QT software is a recipe for disaster.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]