Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Boujou 4 vs. other matchmoving software?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
DhenionBoujou 4 vs. other matchmoving software?
by on Oct 21, 2006 at 12:44:58 am

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

Its time to spend the bucks and get our matchmoving in-house. I've used previous versions of Boujou before and have gotten to know it quite well and know it would work well in our pipeline. I have little doubt that for $10k I would have matchmoving software I'd be happy with if we bought Boujou 4.

That said - I'd like to hear pros and cons of other software. Long time ago I used Icarus - it was ok, so should I consider PFTrack (since thats what Icarus became.) Its half the price - but when it comes to a tough track will it do as well as Boujou?

What about other software? The only thing else I've ever played with is Maya Live and don't really think its in the running.

Thanks for any input.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

crgreenRe: Boujou 4 vs. other matchmoving software?
by on Oct 21, 2006 at 3:26:53 am

If you have the bucks to spend, you should seriously consider PFTrack. Boujou does rock, but the Pixel Farm algorithms are ridiculously good. This is based on some experience with PFTrack, but mostly with the mutant little brother PFHoe, which I have used for countless jobs with great success. No one wants to take it (PFHoe) seriously because it is only a couple hundred bucks, but my track record (that pun was not intentional) with PFHoe was great last year. It is true however that Pixel Farm has not updated PFHoe since before they updated PFTrack, so it is possible they made the tracking algorithms less amazing than they were, but that is highly unlikely.
If I were consulting, I would say, sure, use the budget to buy PFTrack, but also get a few seats of SynthEyes, which is cheap and professionally feature-rich. You might get a few more freelancers who know SynthEyes. A little affordable diversity is worth a lot, imo.

Best of luck

-CG

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MyleniumRe: Boujou 4 vs. other matchmoving software?
by on Oct 21, 2006 at 7:58:20 am

I agree with crgreen - PFTrack is probably the most sophisticated tool when it comes to the algorithms used. It also supports object tracking, facial feature tracking and a few other tricks that you don't get in Syntheyes, Boujou or Matchmover. I also think it supports the most export formats of them all and, which is probably not so unimportant, it was designed with custom extensibility in mind from the start so it has had a documented programming API and scripting from the start when other apps only started to add this functionality recently. That said, there must of course be a price to pay and in this case it's speed. It takes long compared to other apps to even solve simple scenes. However, there is a way around that by getting additional network licenses and having calculations doen on multiple machines at once.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GoldbergRe: Boujou 4 vs. other matchmoving software?
by on Oct 21, 2006 at 8:51:37 pm

Hi Dhenion,
We were going to shell out the 10k about a year ago for Boujou,just prior to V3 coming out. You can use Boujou Bullet for a lot less, and depending on your tracking needs, it might be all you need. We've done quite a few scenes with bullet, and haven't had a problem. Look into it, it's very good, and a lot less than 10K...

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DHenionTHANKS - and follow-up questions
by on Oct 22, 2006 at 2:01:55 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies - very useful.

CG: Was wondering why you suggest also getting SynthEyes? Do you feel that in cases where PFTrack is having problems SynthEyes might do better?

MYLENIUM's comment about PFTrack's speed is a big concern. If I have to buy extra licenses for PFtrack and tie up multiple machines - then thats going to be more of a pain then just spending the extra money for Boujou.

Anyone else have any experience with PFTrack's speed vs. Boujou?

MIKE: What are the main features missing in Bullet? Tracking to 3D geometry isn't there - this sounds like a great feature as I always take detailed measurements on set usually end up making a 3D model of the set anyway for reference - if I could use that model to help a track that would be awesome. What else?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

crgreenRe: THANKS - and follow-up questions
by on Oct 22, 2006 at 10:35:51 pm

[DHenion] "CG: Was wondering why you suggest also getting SynthEyes? Do you feel that in cases where PFTrack is having problems SynthEyes might do better?"

Rather than alloting all your budget-eggs to one basket, it seems smart to get as many tools as possible, in my opinion. This is one reason why I tend to support and advise on investing in software that is cross-platform (which is a drawback for Boujou). Also, yes, there are times when a track is problematic for one tool and less so for another (this is also true for disk utilities). These tracking algorithms are getting very complex -- the mathematics are getting such that the programs will probably start writing themselves before long (hmm, they probably already are). Why not diversify your bag of tricks? Especially since the price drop was so dramatic a few years ago. Good philosopy: 'you get what you pay for' BUT consider these points as well:
1. price drops in this biz are inevitable with certain products
2. most of the technology in the current context came out of Academia (you know about PFTrack's history, and look at Voodoo http://www.digilab.uni-hannover.de/docs/manual.html)
3. some argue that software should be free, so there ARE great cheap and open source solutions, or, if not solutions, good ideas that lead to solutions.

This brings us to the end of my rant.

Best of luck!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GoldbergRe: THANKS - and follow-up questions
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 12:04:22 am

Not sure what you mean by "tracking to a 3D model" The main missing element of Boujou vs Boujou Bullet is the ability to track a moving camera with zoom. I haven't run into a problem with this. Usually the shots we use are either hand held, dolly or jib shots. I just ask the director, camera operator not to zoom if possible.

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DHenionRe: THANKS - and follow-up questions
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 12:13:37 am

Hmm, tracking to a zoom is crucial for us - I always ask too - but often get overridden by the director or just from the requirements of the shot, seems they are always zooming the lens.

By tracking to a 3D model - my understanding is that in boujou4 (and the latest pftrack) you can bring in a 3D model of your scene and make correspondences between tracked features and points on the 3D model. Is this not true? Maybe I'm misreading the marketting-ease on the sites?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GoldbergRe: THANKS - and follow-up questions
by on Oct 24, 2006 at 2:01:16 pm

I saw that in the marketing stuff for brochure 4. Not real sure how that works. As far as zooming, as long as you're not doing both zooming and dollying, you would be fine with bullet. In fact, I've gotten some shots that did do both to track, but it would be your call. Big price difference.

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vailancio RodriguesRe: Boujou 4 vs. other matchmoving software?
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:25:14 am

Hey why are you scratching your head so much. Pixel Art has compiled and compared the best matchmoving softwares. You can easily choose the one according to your need. View the comparison list here

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]