Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Mac v. PC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
DaveMac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 3:10:40 am

I am getting a new computer and am looking for some advice on which system is better to run the adobe video suite.

Mac v. PC, I have always used a pc but have heard that a mac will be faster and that I will have less conflicts and problems.

Anyone with knowledge please give me the pros and cons.

Budget is an issue, not that I am pinching pennies but I don't want to have to buy a 3,500 video card etc... to have it run good

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 3:26:55 am

Well, I seem to recall that neither Premiere nor Encore will run on Mac.

You should pick your apps first, then pick the platform. Others may differ. but I believe that's the way it works nowadays.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

StormDaveRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 3:33:21 am

It doesn't really matter nowdays...but if you want to use Premiere & Encore you need a Windows machine. And the windows has a better integration with Adobe Dynamic Link, imo.

It's not worth getting a G5 right now as Apple is changing all their CPU's and they're updating the desktop line with Intel chips. Generally, PC's will always be faster because of so many hardware options out there and everyday advances in technology.

Mac vs. PC battles can go on for weeks, but I can sum it up: It all depends on your needs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew YooleRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 5:55:53 am

All good advice above. It's more about the software than the hardware.

You want Premiere/Encore/Audition? PC.
You Want Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio Pro/Motion/Shake? Mac.
You want great integration between AE and your NLE? Dynamic Link on PC.

What software do you own now? What platform is it?
Do you share files with clients or other facilities? What editing platform do they use?

When Intel Macs are released in hi-end desktop configurations, you'll have the potential option of running Windows and Mac OS in the one box, meaning one machine really might do it all!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

StormDaveRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 7:29:04 am

Yep I was going to mention dual booting on a Mac, but since he wanted a desktop, didn't mention. As Andrew mentioned, if you can wait (I don't know when Apple is going to release it) they are creating desktop Macs with the Intel Core 2 Duo (I think this is what they will use, a new chipset, which beats AMD)...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik LindahlRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 10:51:38 am

I'd agree with all above: it depends on your needs. If you want or need Preimier you're stuck on a windows PC. If you feel more confortable in OSX/FCP/Shake etc you can go that rout. If you can wait a month or so, Apple is likely to introduce their Intel-based Pro-desktops the beginning of August. These will give you the best of both works - dual boot in OSX and Windows.

The sad thing is, After Effects will be crippled until a Native OSX-version for intel is released. You still have the windows-option here however.

For me the choice is simple - I simply can't stand Windows. But this is quite much a personal preference. Now that Shake is down a "pennies price" the OSX plattform feels for me very stable.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 11:18:13 am

[StormDave] "As Andrew mentioned, if you can wait (I don't know when Apple is going to release it) they are creating desktop Macs with the Intel Core 2 Duo (I think this is what they will use, a new chipset, which beats AMD)..."

August 7th is the scuttlebut on their reveal at the WWDC. According to an article in MacAddict the chips are ready to go so it's possible the machine will not only debut on that day, but be available for shipping almost immediately.

One thing to look at is Parellels for Mac. This allows you to run Windows at the same time as Mac OS X, instead of using Apple's Boot Camp to run either / or.

I've heard all positive things about this and will most likely add it to our desktop along with Windows XP for those occassions when we need to check something in Windows. So I think the Mac offers you the most versatile machine since you can operate in both worlds.

http://www.parallels.com/

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon WalkerRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 2:29:03 pm

If you're leaning towards the PC front hold off for the Intel Conroe chip. Word on the street is it blows the doors off anything AMD has on the market. Apple is supposedly waiting for it to release its tower G5's. Not saying the G5 will have the Conroe, but you know that rumor mill...always tricky. No word on price but as you know you usually pay for what you get. Conroe is set to release in the next couple months and will have 3 speeds...good, better, and slap yo mamma.

Jon Walker
Creative Services
WPSD News Channel 6
jwalker@wpsdtv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 3:05:57 pm

[Jon Walker] "Not saying the G5 will have the Conroe, but you know that rumor mill...always tricky."

According to the MacAddict article I referred to earlier, this IS the chip that will be in the new Apple Desktops, though it is now officially the Core 2 Duo.

Also according to the article, the laptop version of this chip is ahead of schedule and could appear in the MacBook Pro's before the end of the year.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

lessevolvedmanRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 15, 2006 at 1:07:15 pm

3 speeds...good, better, and slap yo mamma.

haha

//lessevolvedman
http://www.lessevolvedman.com.au

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

J HofiusRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 7:39:28 pm

Mac.

Dual boot.

Wait for it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

SeanRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 14, 2006 at 9:34:00 pm

In the latest beta release of Apple's BootCamp app, you can choose OS X, Windows XP, and now Linux. So, a PC that only does Windows or a Mac that does all three? Granted, you could already dual-boot Ubuntu Linux on a Mac, but never before could you do all three with one application. Having said that, however, you would be smart to wait for whatever Steve has up his sleeve at WWDC.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rhett RobinsonRe: Mac v. PC
by on Jul 15, 2006 at 6:02:13 pm

This is always a big battle, which ends up with a personal taste/money decision. I was an Apple guy, then Macintosh, since the beginning. At work, I have 2 extremely fast Macintosh G5 dual processor machines - they're great. At home, I've finally gone mostly PC for my production work, although I still have 2 Macs when needed (G3, baby!) . If you've always used a PC, I'd say stick with it, if you like it. You've got software and knowledge built up that will work for you. At home, I have 2 ultrafast PC boxes that I built for a fraction of the cost that a comparable Mac would cost me, and a small army of PC drones (9, and a few that "sort of" work) to do network renders for me.

Anyway, I love the interface on a Mac, but really, the line isn't so clearly drawn any more as far as what's better. Since I can build my own PC boxes easily, and I scrounge parts, that's been a huge cost savings to me.

Anyway, I don't think the speed gained by using a different platform will be so great as to make up for the individual running it. I can do more work in less time on my beige G3 than my coworker can on the dual G5, because I've learned how to work within the limitations of a machine, instead of always hitting the limits.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]