Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Help with rendering please!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
samhendyHelp with rendering please!
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 7:17:24 pm

First of all, hello, this is my first post here.
Unfortunately, im in need of soooo much help.
At the moment, im creating many films and so i downloaded red giant's software 'magic bullet' which i have more or less got the hang of. Also been working with adobe after effects for a while but the only problem for me is rendering into a file.
I use video explosion deluxe to edit my movies, and then i create them into pal dv files which i then import into adobe after effects. There i add the magic bullet plugin to the video footage and then i want to export it again. However, the one that only gets me good quality results is to export as an avi file with the video settings that are set to no compression-millions of colours. The problem with this is that it takes ages to render the file which is an avi that i need to import back into video explosion deluxe and then export as an mpeg 2 file so i can put it on dvd. Not to mention, 10 seconds of footage as an avi (no compression) file is over 1gb, by the end of a minutes footage, im guessing i wont have space on my computer. Is there anyway that i can export into an mpeg2 ready file from adobe after effects? or even an avi file but with a smaller size from using some sort of other renderation process??
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks alot.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Help with rendering please!
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 8:38:31 pm

In After Effects, the terms "render" and "export" mean different things. As a rule of thumb, you have far more control over your final product when you render.

Look up "rendering" and "render queue" in AE help and you will find the information you seek.

As for going to mpeg 2 to make a DVD, you may still have to do that in your DVD authoring software... or wherever it is that you currently do it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

samhendyRe: Help with rendering please!
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 8:56:28 pm

Thank you so much for the help.
I have just rendered a small clip and the size seems to be more than 90% smaller. However, i have rendered at the best quality option but the quality isnt as clear as it should be, there are very faint lines which look like boxes on the final rendered image. Is there anyway i can overcome this?
Thank you again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 26, 2006 at 3:54:09 pm

You're compressing the snot out of your video files (that's the blockiness), and you need a LOT more storage for your machine. If you're working in DV, think about getting a 160GB firewire drive at least... and that's JUST for your media files.

You also need to learn a LOT about codecs, the hardware-and/or-software gizmos that compress video into files for storage and decompress files to view video. It's NOT something you learn in one lousy thread. Try googling "codecs", or at least look it up on Wikipedia or How Stuff Works to get a basic idea. Then you can refine your quest for knowledge.

In the meantime, DO NOT put that blocky-looking video file on a DVD. It's a waste of good plastic.

And if you're working in DV, why not just render out your AE stuff using the DV codec? Heck, what you're doing isn't for professional use, and it'll get you by. At least until you get smarter about codecs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 26, 2006 at 6:03:44 pm

Hey, thanks again for all your help.
As for drive space, my computer's capacity is 250 gb.
I knew it had something to do with codecs. On my codec options, there is a load of different ones to use, some of which i have used and the quality hasnt always been good. I did a test by setting my render settings to best and output model to microsoft DV pal 48 khz but ended up with the boxes...
Here is an image of the codecs i have that pop up, usually i use no compression: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">
Would you know if any of these would be useful, because i know that in the past, some of these have given me terrible results.
Thanks loads.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 26, 2006 at 6:09:58 pm

Like I said, you have to learn about codecs, what they do and how they behave. There are oodles of them because there are oodles of different applications for video. Yeah, it's work to lean about 'em, but that's what you have to do. Did anybody ever say this was going to be easy?

You must crawl before you run, grasshopper.

In the meantime, stick with one of the DV codes and you ought to be okay.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 26, 2006 at 6:25:44 pm

Hehe, yeah this is tough stuff!
Thanks for your help, ill let you know if i need more help.
:)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Help with rendering please!
by on Apr 26, 2006 at 6:26:27 pm

Here's what I use (all Quicktime):

1) for intermediate (passing between apps, high quality): Animation or Photo-JPEG if I'm tight on space.
2) for web: Sorenson Pro 3, but I'm an old guy. :)
3) for Hard Drive playback: Photo-JPEG.
4) for DV tape: DV.
5) for transfer to Beta SP: Blackmagic Decklink (Quicktime).
6) for client tests: WMV.
7) for DVD: MPEG-2 through Apple's Compressor app.

Though I'm on Win and Mac, I haven't rendered an AVI in about six years.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 26, 2006 at 6:35:30 pm

Hey just been reading some stuff.
See what i dont understand, is that if i download a codec, does it automatically add to the list of ways of rendering as the photo i uploaded on the post before? What i mean is when i have downloaded the codec, is updated onto the list?
And also, how would i know which codec is most appropiate for creating the best results into an avi file?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Help with rendering please!
by on Apr 26, 2006 at 6:41:12 pm

Sorry, I don't remember how to install codecs on Windows. Check the Compression COW.

As for your second question, it all depends on the usage of your final product. Web? Hard drive? Anyway, this is no longer an AE question. Please go to the Compression COW.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]