Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Render and compression Issues W/ video playback

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Espnetboy3Render and compression Issues W/ video playback
by on Mar 3, 2006 at 6:15:46 pm

I wonder if anyone else has these issues. Basically If i render out a video from After effects and want it lossless meaning I render animation with millions + or None with millions + (In the format options in render queue) The playback is always messed up. When i open quicktime up and play the video it like freezes up and skips and what not. Ifi bring it into lets say FCP i have to render it then it plays fine. Whats up with this? If i render to sorenson 3 or like the dvcpro its totally fine but they arent the best of quality. The dvcpro is good but looks a bit smooth not as sharp. Any help.

Im running quicktime 7 pro with a g4 733mhz 1.2gig ram.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

robkahnRe: Render and compression Issues W/ video playback
by on Mar 3, 2006 at 6:42:55 pm

Sounds like a bandwith issue. The larger file is getting bottlenecked somewhere. If your trying to play from a CD DVD or external drive, the connection or speed of the device is pobibly not fast enough for smooth playback of the large amount of data being played. Compressed as you say, it fits through the pipeline just fine. If it doesn't play locally, then something in your system can't handle a file that size. Not a FCP guru but I would guess that FCP does its own compression when it renders for playback (hence the lower quality when looking at twice compressed files).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Render and compression Issues W/ video playback
by on Mar 3, 2006 at 6:46:31 pm

The Animation codec is not for playback. It is not a delivery codec, it is an intermediate codec, used for passing high-quality files between apps with little or no degradation.

As a result, the Animation codec files are too big for your hard drive to play back smoothly. Don't expect to play them back -- you should take them into another app, compress them to DV or Photo-JPEG for hard drive playback, or Sorenson for web. (for example)

In FCP, the file that you get after rendering matches the codec of your sequence, which, I'm guessing, is not Animation, but something with a lower data rate.

Know the difference between your intermediate codecs and your delivery codecs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Espnetboy3Re: Render and compression Issues W/ video playback
by on Mar 3, 2006 at 11:01:01 pm

Thanks guys. Yea steve I never realized it was for transfering files from one tool to another (animation codec). So if im working in After effects and I want to output what is the best way to keep the res up high?

I have noticed that the None compressor which im guessing means it puts no compression will sometimes play back fine on my brothers faster PC. I believe its a dual 3.ghz processor. Could these pipeline issues be due to my dated hardware?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 4, 2006 at 3:01:45 am

[Espnetboy3] "So if im working in After effects and I want to output what is the best way to keep the res up high?"

You mean quality, yes? Resolution would be frame size in pixels. If you want something that looks good and plays on modern hard drives, try the Photo-JPEG Quicktime codec, maybe at 89% or so -- basically, the highest that the slider will give you without snapping to 100%.

Others may suggest other options.

[Espnetboy3]"I have noticed that the None compressor which im guessing means it puts no compression will sometimes play back fine on my brothers faster PC. I believe its a dual 3.ghz processor. Could these pipeline issues be due to my dated hardware?"

I wouldn't expect D1-sized uncompressed video to play back on anything other than a RAID array. It's really a disk issue, not a processor issue.
How is your brother playing it back? Clicking on the movie icon? In Premiere?
Is there rendering involved?
What is the data rate of the file in question?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Espnetboy3Re: Render and compression Issues W/ video playback
by on Mar 4, 2006 at 8:02:44 am

Actually sometimes he plays it back straight from quicktime by double clicking the icon. Although he has had some of the same issues with the animation files. I read somewhere that it is good to select in the options while rendering to limit the data rate intead of keeping it unlicked or off/automatic. Is this true?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 4, 2006 at 1:24:57 pm

Yes, if you want to reduce the data rate and don't mind losing some quality.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]