Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Null and Camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
JonNull and Camera?
by on Mar 2, 2006 at 5:40:47 am

When I use a null object for camera movements, do you use the position of the null as the POV of the camera? or do you actually place the camera on the position of the null??
thanks guys,
jon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

GuyRe: Null and Camera?
by on Mar 2, 2006 at 2:48:52 pm

you can do either with an expression.
However, I parent a Camera to a null when I want to animate Position and POV at the same time. It's easier I find.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RobotHeroRe: Null and Camera?
by on Mar 2, 2006 at 2:59:52 pm

That would depend on what kind of movement you're trying to achieve. Normally, you won't use a null at exactly the same point as either the camera or the point of interest or it would be redundant. More likely, you'll set the anchor point somewhere you want to rotate around, though there's a lot of other things you can do with that.

You might pick-whip the camera's position to the position of the null, which isn't redundant, because the camera would still use its own rotation values. Or you can set the null as the parent of the camera, and then it also rotate with the null.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris SmithRe: Null and Camera?
by on Mar 2, 2006 at 3:23:16 pm

Depends how you want to use it. For example if you want your camera to do a perfect circle orbit. Parent it to a null. Set the null a distance away from the cam. Now rotate the null. The cam will now orbit it.

I always move a camera by parenting it to a null and keyframing the null so the cam has all of it's parameters always clear for keyframing independantly. I also turn off the camera's auto orient function so it's not always trying to look at the POI.

Chris Smith
http://www.sugarfilmproduction.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JonRe: Null and Camera?
by on Mar 2, 2006 at 8:12:31 pm

Cool thanks for the help, I've always just done a direct camera parent to the null. And move the null for the camera movement. Just curious if I was doing it properly. Thanks guys
jon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]