Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Matching 29.97 interlaced video with 24P footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bill BuchananMatching 29.97 interlaced video with 24P footage
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 1:35:42 am

Cutting a show shot almost entirely at 24P (DVX100), but need to integrate some footage shot with traditional vid cam.

Using AE, how can I process the 'traditional footage' so that it more closely matches the 24P material?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Buchanan
Buchanan Film Co.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Matching 29.97 interlaced video with 24P footage
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 1:55:45 am

If you're finishing on video, leave the 24P at 29.97 fps with pulldown -- this is how it comes out of the camera. Then it should integrate with the 29.97 video, but a trained eye (maybe untrained) will see the difference.

If you want them to match exactly ... you should use something like Twixtor to treat the 29.97 stuff so it looks like 24 (actually 23.976 fps), by creating new intermediate frames. Warning: it might not work well, depending on the speed and content of your footage. And I haven't used Twixtor to do that yet.

Try the demo.

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon W.Re: Matching 29.97 interlaced video with 24P footage
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 4:03:21 am

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magbulsuit.html

might try that, creates 24P from 60i

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill BuchananRe: Matching 29.97 interlaced video with 24P footage
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 2:15:36 pm

Thanks Jon & Steve

Thanks for your advice. The difference between the two acquistion formats is glaring, even with shots that don't include pans, tilts or in-frame action. I am considering purchasing Magic Bullet Suite, but as yet haven't. I'll try a demo to see how it treats the 'traditional' footage. As regards Twixtor, perhaps they offer a demo version to check out, too. Thanks again.

Bill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Matching 29.97 interlaced video with 24P footage
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 2:32:23 pm

[Bill Buchanan] "The difference between the two acquistion formats is glaring, even with shots that don't include pans, tilts or in-frame action."

Is it glaring to your client? :)

If your client is paying for the extra cost to convert (and they should, since they chose to use different formats), you might want to say "it'll cost X dollars to fix it. Is the difference still glaring?"

Steve :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill BuchananRe: Matching 29.97 interlaced video with 24P footage
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 9:29:15 pm

Steve:

You're right on all accounts. But as producer of this particular project, I'm also the client. The difference jumps out like a pair of brown shoes with a tuxedo. I hope to screw around with the Twixtor and/or MB Suite demos asap. I'll post the results for whatever they may be worth to you and others.

Bill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]