Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Import composition from one project to another

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
JoeyTheDogImport composition from one project to another
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 5:41:17 pm

I need to be able to import a composition, layers, key frames, the works from one project to another. All the settings of the two projects are the same. I got started with an experimental project and it worked out well it is the ending of the other project. I need to sync sound through both and be able to move key frames.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan EbbertsRe: Import composition from one project to another
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 5:49:08 pm

Import one project into the other and delete what you don't need.

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JoeyTheDogRe: Import composition from one project to another
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 7:39:47 pm

When I import the project I need to be able to open it to the layers, keyframes, effects. So I can move the keyframes change effects. When I import the project it colapses so it is just like a pre-comp effect. There are no layers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Import composition from one project to another
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 7:50:53 pm

Are you sure you imported the AEP file?

When you import an AEP it appears as a folder in the project window. All comps and sources appear within that folder, just as it did within the original project. Everything is editable.

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 8:18:19 pm

I don't want to seem a total fool but everything is there except the masks, effects, keyframes. Knoll light effects settings not there. The real fine tuning points, not there, it is like when you condense by pre-comp

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 8:28:26 pm

If you're importing a project from another computer without having the effects on your current computer, the effects settings won't show up when you import. You need the effects installed on your computer.

At any rate, the masks should be there, applied to the appropriate layers within the appropriate comps.

So what do you see within the folder named after the imported AEP file?

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 9:08:34 pm

I did a very simple text project with a solid spinning and getting smaller and some text zooming in and fading to 0%. Save it as a project. Opened a new project and imported the simple project described above. Same problem. In my complex project the (aa-main burst to text comp.) has a film strip icon in front of it. All items are imported but they are no longer placed on timeline at times,, lengths durations nothing specific at all. Movie plays fine just as created but there is no ability to make any further adjustment to previous specifics. Just the standard ability to do new transform functions. I know that I am not doing something that is quite obvious. But what?

THANKS STEVE !!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 9:12:37 pm

After effects and all programs are on root drive c: and all files and projects are on drive g:

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 9:21:23 pm

My whole movie is 1;36;00 long but I can't render the whole thing due to this error

BFX API Error

The handle is invalid.

Multiprocessor. cep

So I render by just doing parts

I am using star fields, displacement masks, lighting effects multiple lines of text.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 9:55:45 pm

All righty then. Can you e-mail me the two projects?

1. original AEP
2. AEP that has AEP #1 imported into it, showing problems.

No need to e-mail the source images etc. Just the AEP files, please.

Send them to ads (at) reidroberts (dot) com. The address was written that way to avoid spambots. Please don't reproduce it on the COW -- someone did that once. urf.

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 10:33:39 pm

Files sent. I think I'll go for a walk.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RoRKRe: Import composition from one project to another
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 10:46:24 pm

It sounds like you're importing a movie rather than the AEP. If you need the layers from the AEP, then deselect all (F2), then copy all layers (CTRL+A) and then paste all the layers in the target comp.

HTH

Cheers
Roland Kahlenberg
broadcastGEMs.com - customizable animated backdrops with AEPs!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 24, 2005 at 1:12:25 am

I'm importing .aep file.

With Copy all then close project, then open project and paste copy. 6 of the eight layers have the new title Original source deleted. Even when pasted to a new comp in the project.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 24, 2005 at 2:12:43 am

I was dragging the aep file into the comp instead of double clicking on it. Well I was right about one thing. It was something real basic.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]